Author Topic: What tyres is everyone riding?  (Read 5022 times)

Offline deacon

• Funky Chicken
What tyres is everyone riding?
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:56:09 PM »
Riding khe Mac 1's at the minute but wondering what else is out there or what would others recommend. They haven't lastedlong to be honest although my spot isnt very smooth/shiny lol. I prefer anything under 2".

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: What tyres is everyone riding?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 10:18:35 PM »
I've been using the 1.75 odyssey frequency g tires almost exclusively for many years. They seem pretty good to me but since I haven't tried any other tires in such a long time I cannot say how great they are in comparison.

I noticed that the bob hex lab folding tires have been reduced in price recently on flatlandfuel. I thinking about trying them next, my front tire is getting bald again so it's almost time to replace it.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 05:26:05 AM »
Ares kevlar 1.9” regular compound
Phenomenal tires
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 04:47:53 PM »
Phenomenal tires

Do they last awhile or wear down quickly? Have you tried the silica compound version, and if so, why do you prefer the regular compound?

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 02:34:19 PM »
Phenomenal tires

Do they last awhile or wear down quickly? Have you tried the silica compound version, and if so, why do you prefer the regular compound?

I wouldnt say the Ares are fast wearing by any means! They last a healthy amount and can be ridden at least 1-2 sessions more once the cords begin to show. Yes i tried the silica and it was too soft, which meant it rolled/spun/turbined slow. Hated it. Now if you ride a slick floor will want the Silica but I had no need thus am back on regular compound.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 07:52:03 PM »
Interesting, I might give the ares regular compound a try then. I've avoided them because of the price but if they don't wear too quickly then it's not such a problem.

Doubt I need the silica ones but if ever ride a slick surface I'll keep them in mind. I avoid slick surfaces like the plaque. About 15 years ago I was trying to learn spinning pedal to pedal time machines and I made the mistake of trying it on a real slick surface. The bike slid out from under me and I fell hard on top of the bike. Unfortunately I landed on my side directly on the end of the handbar (luckily I had big bar ends). The bar end did not puncture the skin but it did cause my kidney to be punctured, as an MRI with contrast showed that I was bleeding internally from my kidney. I ended up in the ER for a week and was pissing blood for the first 3 days.

Was, by far, the most painful thing I've ever experienced, so yea..., I have a fear of slick surfaces since then.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 07:58:30 PM by aliasdck »

Offline ollie

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 10:32:25 AM »
I was riding Odyssey 1.85 K-lyte Tanwall, they were amazing, but took a couple of days to break in though. Given they are not being produced anymore, although I have a couple of spares, I searched for new tires.

Once I was given a Maxxis DTH. Such a responsive, light tire with a great profile shape. Less than half price of the Odys too.. No break in period. It takes pressure very well without deforming, I am rolling on 10 bars. It is getting more and more popular amongst riders in past 10 years.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 03:51:15 AM »
Interesting, I might give the ares regular compound a try then. I've avoided them because of the price but if they don't wear too quickly then it's not such a problem.

Doubt I need the silica ones but if ever ride a slick surface I'll keep them in mind. I avoid slick surfaces like the plaque. About 15 years ago I was trying to learn spinning pedal to pedal time machines and I made the mistake of trying it on a real slick surface. The bike slid out from under me and I fell hard on top of the bike. Unfortunately I landed on my side directly on the end of the handbar (luckily I had big bar ends). The bar end did not puncture the skin but it did cause my kidney to be punctured, as an MRI with contrast showed that I was bleeding internally from my kidney. I ended up in the ER for a week and was pissing blood for the first 3 days.

Was, by far, the most painful thing I've ever experienced, so yea..., I have a fear of slick surfaces since then.

OUCH! nothing worse than falling on top of the bike. good thing it wasn't worse and you recovered. Bruised my spinal vertebrae when I fell directly on top of the peg learning cliffhanger turbines...

Anyways, while they are expensive, there is something magical about them. The shape is perfect to ride. I think if you tried them you'd agree!

Offline bmxelement90

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 09:50:36 PM »
2.1 tioga fs-100 tires. I ride a bit of everything and they are a great all around tire