Author Topic: Washers on axle  (Read 2673 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Washers on axle
« on: April 19, 2019, 10:02:20 PM »
Are there suppose to be washers on the axle between the hub and frame? I don't have any but wondering if I should? There really isn't much room for them unless I can find really skinny ones.

Offline a08

• Backpacker
Re: Washers on axle
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 01:38:24 AM »
Aside from the code washers that come with the hub I've never ran any. Generally hubs are made with certain spacing and the frames are made with that same spacing.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 04:45:15 PM »
Anything around 1/8” gap or so per side and you’d want to add the spacer to avoid deforming the rear triangle and thus putting undue pressure on the welds. What did you end up doing?
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 06:47:22 PM »
The space on either end was less than a normal washer so it ended up not being needed. I was mostly just curious because I thought I remember needing washers on one of my bikes years ago and wanted to make sure they weren't suppose to be there.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 03:48:55 AM »
The space on either end was less than a normal washer so it ended up not being needed. I was mostly just curious because I thought I remember needing washers on one of my bikes years ago and wanted to make sure they weren't suppose to be there.

Oh ok yes some of the older frames may have either been using their own standard or wanted you to run chain tensioners on the inside like the Quamens
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 04:01:30 PM »
older frames with thin dropouts would need some wide washers, or maybe a Nankai hub that has small cone nuts. otherwise with new hubs and frames you don't need any.