Author Topic: Cranks experience in opposite placement  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Rizalflatlander

• Hitchhiker
  • The Sit Grabber
Cranks experience in opposite placement
« on: March 16, 2019, 01:47:04 PM »
Anyone here have tried, the cranks that has been installed in opposite way?

Of course it should not be normal but I just  want to install a splined drive sprocket to my Arestic Phaser cranks.

If so, how was your experience?

Thanks in advance.

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
Re: Cranks experience in opposite placement
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 06:54:15 PM »
I had to run a set the wrong way round for a while as I use a left hand drive hub, and only the right crank was threaded for a sprocket bolt.

In theory your pedals will eventually unthread themselves, but a local lad told me what he did was take his pedals apart and swap the axles over. It was never a problem for me though.

Using spline drive should be no problem if your axle is designed for it? (i.e. you won't be able to get a spline drive sprocket on the bonded side of 2 piece cranks) If in any doubt use the same brand sprocket and cranks.

Offline Rizalflatlander

• Hitchhiker
  • The Sit Grabber
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 10:09:54 PM »
Thanks for your reply Steve.
My friend had one before, which he runs right drive cranks but using a lhd cassette. He does street but I was not able to ask, how he did his. But it was ok though.
The pedals, that can be taken apart, to swap on another side is kind of weird. I can’t imagine, what makes it different, if you swap those.  ::)
I really like to run the Profile splined sprocket with my Phaser cranks. Unfortunately, the right crank is bonded together and splined drives are not possible, unless installing it on the left side. But I want to run RHD.

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 06:00:13 PM »
The pedals, that can be taken apart, to swap on another side is kind of weird. I can’t imagine, what makes it different, if you swap those.  ::)
Left and right pedals are threaded differently, so they effectively tighten on the cranks as you pedal. Running them the wrong way round means they will eventually get loose. Not a big deal for flatland really.

You should probably ask the guys at Ares if your cranks are compatible with spline drive, they did make the Illblend cranks and Solid spline sprocket to work together.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 06:05:51 PM by nosubsteve »

Offline a08

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 01:46:14 AM »
just keep the pedals tight. I've done it before. not a big deal. just make sure the pedals are tight periodically.

i don't see how switching the axles in pedal bodies would make a difference. they would still thread in on the wrong side (and potentially loosen as you pedal forward) the bodies would just be the ones originally from that side. which wouldn't make a difference.

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 09:02:37 AM »
Wow I feel stupid now.  ;D