Author Topic: Finding local spots  (Read 13875 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: Finding local spots
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 12:52:43 AM »
Those spots would be a dream for me...

Yea, I'm probably being too picky. I think with the right tire, some adjustment to the way I'm riding and enough time to get used to the ground then I can probably make it work. I'll spend some more time looking for a better spot but if I can't find one then I'll just stick with these. Won't be able to ride there everyday though, it may only be a 20 minute drive but I can't afford the gas driving there and back everyday, especially with current California gas prices (around $3.80/gallon currently). Tight budget these days.

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2019, 01:02:16 AM »
I'll show my favourite one tomorrow (1/2 hour drive, usually wet) my usual spot and the favourite I'm too scared to ride because I live in a tiny village with locals who won't leave me alone :D

The skatepark one looks awesome for real, I love a nice ledge when I get bored, which is often.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2019, 04:57:19 PM »
I'd like to see your photo. I've been going through general flatland forum old posts recently by starting with today's posts and working backwards. I was away for so long and missed many years of discussion. I've been enjoying people's photos, videos, trick help, insane arguments, etc. currently on page 135 of 320.

The skatepark is pretty good size and has lots of cool stuff not shown in my photo. I'm very timid with jumping so haven't done anything other than flatland there so far. Hoping to change that.

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 10:35:52 AM »

Haven't been to the good one yet but these are my closest, both rough asphalt. Top one's too close to nosey locals and the bottom one's usually full of kids, but good to skate too as it has (in my opinion) the nicest concrete mini ramp in the north of England.

I also miss the insanity of this place, but I'm not sure if registration's still closed for new users.. I was considering starting a new forum up because so much of a scene is dependent on the influx of new, younger riders (Japan seems to understand this) but I wouldn't really know where to start. But I digress. Hitting the good spot later, might even try to film a bit for everyone's amusement :)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 06:14:16 PM »
That rough asphalt is similar to what I ride on most days but mine has a bit more a rounded shape, like trying to ride on the top of a really big tube if that makes sense. The skatepark one looks good too, I always go to mine early in the morning before the loads of kids show up.

Wait, new user registration is closed? Why? Too much spam/bots or something?

I'm down for some videos if you choose to share.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 06:17:16 PM by aliasdck »

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2019, 08:12:55 PM »
Went back to the skatepark today and had an awesome session. I replaced my balding front frequency g with an ares a-class tire, so I wasn't sliding out anymore when carving. Felt awesome with the new tire, almost like I was floating during the transitions  when turbining. I like these ares tires and I'm starting to like riding on the smoother surface. Good day today.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:14:32 PM by aliasdck »

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 10:06:06 PM »
I am excited  ;D  Today I found two new spots by accident. Not far from my house, about 2 miles:

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 07:07:15 AM »
Nice hope it’s decent to ride. Glad you are digging the Ares!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 07:03:20 PM »
I'm hoping to try those spots out Friday morning. This week it has been hot, around 105 F (40.6 C). So I have been riding as early as possible, like 5:45AM. My plan is to start very early Friday, just before sunrise, and check out these new spots. Fingers crossed, I hope they work out.

Yes I was digging the ares tire very much but I've gone back to the frequency G for the time being since the side wall on the ares failed on me last week from putting too much air. Next time I get tires I'll provably get the ares again, I'll just keep it at or under 120 psi.

Edit: I don't know why the text changed size in my first paragraph, lol
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:05:31 PM by aliasdck »

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 05:28:18 PM »
There's a real shortage these days.. especially in higher profile cities in my personal experience. Ironically there's an abundance of skateparks compared.
Flat-ism

Offline bmxelement90

• Backpacker
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2019, 05:44:03 PM »
There's a real shortage these days.. especially in higher profile cities in my personal experience. Ironically there's an abundance of skateparks compared.
usually the skateparks have a decent area to ride flat in though. there's a middle school by my house that has a good basketball court...and now that it's summer its pretty much hassle free. too bad its summer and its also over 100F.....so f*ck that lol

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 09:03:30 PM »
There does seem to be a lot of skateparks around these days. I think there has been a trend the last couple of decades for cities to build them. Seems almost every city around here has one now. There is one two cities over that appears to have very unusually large flat area, at least from google maps it does. I'm gonna be checking it out later this week.

Bmxelement90, I feel you on the +100F weather. Been similar around here lately so I've been forcing myself to ride early morning instead. Like starting just after sunrise then I ride until I have to stop either cause it's getting too hot or I have to go to work or whatever.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 08:54:29 PM »
Went back to an old spot I haven't ridden at in over 16 years. Last time I was there I got a pretty serious injury during a back wheel trick gone wrong and spent some time in the hospital and then as a result spent a couple years away from flatland, so I've always been wary of going back to this spot. But I'm so glad I finally did!

I forgot how great it is. It's a good size, the largest Ive found in my area and the ground is nearly perfect. It's in the center of a nice park and gets partially shaded all throughout the day. It's 3.8 miles (6.1 km) away from my house which is either about a 10 min drive or 18 min ride away. Only downside is that the bathrooms in the background have been closed.

This is going to be a great year!

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2021, 10:56:55 PM »
This really looks nice! I hope you get a good feeling with that spot again.
After being kicked from my main spot I mainly rode in the hall I have access to (I know I am lucky), but now the weather was good for a few days and then I want to ride outside. So I needed to search again. I met a basketball player and we had a chat. He recommended an app which is made to find basketball courts. Maybe I will try it. In the meantime I found a small turning bay (I hope this is the correct word, I needed to use a dictionary) which is too small but at least almost without slope which is super important for me. So I had some sessions there and so far it was ok. A lot of balconies around... I try to be friendly with the people to maintain a good social atmosphere and so far it worked. People are interested a little bit in my riding and they were nice so far. This is at least an option and only 5 min by bike from my home.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2021, 04:50:16 AM »
I'll have to check out such an app and I imagine they might have something similar for tennis courts though I usually don't ride in those anymore.

I'm not familiar with the term turning bay but I searched on google and found some examples, I'm guessing this is like a turn around area for vehicles usually near the parking area? And so people are often hanging out on their balconies and can see you ride there?

I have spend most of time riding in front of my house now for several years. So many in my neighborhood have seen me ride so many times, some of them every day. I don't directly socialize with them (I don't even know most of their names) but I try to be pleasant by smiling and waving each day I see them. Some of them probably just see me as silly or weird though.