Author Topic: Online hangout  (Read 6268 times)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Online hangout
« on: February 09, 2019, 08:17:32 PM »
So this place is great for staying up to date on news and current internet flat videos but this general flatland forum seems dead compared to the way I remember it being 10 years ago.

I've been out of the scene for awhile and am just getting back into it. So where is everybody hanging out online if not in here? I checked for a flatland sub on reddit and that seemed pretty dead too.

Is there some place I don't know about or is there just not many of us online these days?

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Online hangout
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 11:46:31 PM »
Flatmatters seems to be the place to be in the flatland world.

I think flatland has died off a bit as a whole not just the social media side.

Not many manufacturers making parts and getting parts in the UK is hard to say the least.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 05:43:16 PM »
I feared that may be the caseI will check out flatmatters and will continue to drop by here as well. Flatland always waxes and wanes over the years, hopefully things will pick up again at some point.

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »
I'm in a similar boat to you, I remember a few years back the forum was much more active, the online battles etc. helped make it a hive of activity.

I mostly get my fix via insta and flatmatters these days (not a facebook fan) but will still be posting here a bit, just not expecting a lot of replies!

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 12:05:46 PM »
If you guys have any ideas on how to generate sum more activity im happy to try and make it work?

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 12:30:23 PM »
I reckon get something like Global Flat TV going on youtube if there isn't a channel yet, and shamelessly plug content both ways... get some of that sweet ad revenue (:P) and help promote riders and rider owned shops in the process.

I'd also like to see more how to's (or just updated) and interviews with former and current pros again...

On a philosophical note there's been a bit of a divergence between 'true' flatland and taking flatland moves to street - guys like Mateus Beckmann are a prime example - and I think that hasn't really been embraced. Considering 90% of kids are running freecoasters these days they could easily bring their skills to contests and help grow the scene, so it hasn't really become a two way street. (yet)

Oh yeah also registration for new users, hopefully there are some ways to get rid of those f*cking bots in the process.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 02:07:02 PM »
Sum real good suggestions in there mate!

Im gonna have a word with Martin and see what he thinks... Although i have the keys to the forum as such all changes and decisions are ultimately down to Martin.

Are let you know...

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 02:40:38 PM »
Yeah, the nature of social media's changed a lot in the last few years, forums have taken a big hit - the weird infighting tends to be the last thing to linger, then dissipate...

Let me know if you need a hand with anything, I'm always happy to help.

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 02:41:48 PM »
Cheers, i may just take you up on that!

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 04:37:28 PM »
Quick snap of how relentless the spam bots are. All these attempted log ins with new accounts daily i have to go through and try and find the genuine ones  :rolleyes:

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 03:43:47 AM »
Wow that is ridiculous had no idea it was that bad!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 10:25:57 AM »
Jeez... I take it there are captchas or something similar in place?

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 06:04:59 AM »
Yea that is crazy with the bots

If you guys have any ideas on how to generate sum more activity im happy to try and make it work?

Wish I knew a way. I enjoy participating in online forums, I do so with all of my hobbies/interests.

Offline nosubsteve

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 11:02:23 PM »
I reckon it'd be nice to talk about all the subtleties in contest runs, so I'm hoping we see individual runs from fight the winter for a start...

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 02:13:23 AM »
Oh yea, videos of individual runs would be nice.

I remember when you could actually turn on the TV and see a few of the top flatland xgames runs on ESPN (mostly was just Trevor Meyers run then a few quick clips of the runner up) Nowadays I think seeing flatland on TV is unheard of? Guessing though, I don't watch much TV and haven't for probably 15 years.

Thank goodness for things like YouTube and Vimeo. Lots of flatland to watch.

Speaking of flatland and videos, are professional flatland videos still being made/sold? I checked flatlandfuel but it didn't seem like there was much of a dvd selection....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 02:14:54 AM by aliasdck »