Author Topic: WTP Utopia frame 2019  (Read 9553 times)

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
WTP Utopia frame 2019
« on: January 11, 2019, 10:31:11 PM »
OUR MUCH LOVED FLATLAND FRAME WITH IT'S SHORT AND QUIRKY GEOMETRY, THE UTOPIA HAS BECOME A BIG HIT WITH FLATLANDERS AND RECENTLY STREET RIDERS LOOKING FOR A SMALLER, MORE RESPONSIVE SETUP. TO KEEP BOTH SIDES HAPPY, WE TOOK NOTE OF THIS, AND BEEFED UP THE UTOPIA WITH THICKER TUBING, A DOWNTUBE GUSSET AND WIDER CHAINSTAYS ALLOWING IT TO FEEL EQUALLY AT HOME GOING DOWN A HANDRAIL OR SPINNING A NEW COMBO IN THE PARKING LOT. NOW AVAILABLE IN A LONGER 20" VERSION WITH PROPORTIONATE GEOMETRY, THE UTOPIA MIGHT JUST BE OUR MOST DIVERSE FRAME YET.Includes lifetime guarantee.

More details: http://www.global-flat.com/parts/part/2117

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
WTP - Utopia 2019 Frame
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 06:40:09 AM »

We The People has updated the Utopia frame: "Our much loved flatland frame with it's short and quirky geometry, the utopia has become a big hit with flatlanders and recently street riders looking for a smaller, more responsive setup. To keep both sides happy, we took note of this, and beefed up the utopia with thicker tubing, a downtube gusset and wider chainstays allowing it to feel equally at home going down a handrail or spinning a new combo in the parking lot. Now available in a longer 20" version with proportionate geometry, the utopia might just be our most diverse frame yet."

Specs:
Toptube: 20"
Chainstay Length: 13.2"
Angles HT: 75°, ST: 71.5°
Weight: 2.28kg / 5.03lbs

Find more details in the parts section: WTP Utopia 2019

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
Re: WTP Utopia frame 2019
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 01:21:57 AM »
I've been contemplating getting a 2019 utopia, the dimensions are what I'm looking for in a flat frame. I'm a taller guy (6'2" or about 188cm).

Anyone ride a utopia and can offer any advice?

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 11:37:07 AM »
Hi, I have the 2014 version with 19.5" TT and 12.4" CS. The rear end is wide in order to accept tires until 2.3" width. This is why the space for the sprocket is small, so 25T and more might be critical. I have a 26T sprocket installed and needed to install the crank arm towards the end of the spindle and it is still super tight.Maybe the new version is easier here because the CS is longer.I also have issues to clamp the seatpost. Even if I tighten the bold hard it is not very well clamped. But other riders on GF reported that they don't have this problem, so it might be my seatpost (Odyssey Intac).The dropouts are too small in my opinion, so it is likely that you need a halflink and still your pegs might not have full contact to the dropout, but this is not too bad.I have built it up as a spare bike so did not ride it too much. So I can not comment on stability.In general the frame is nice. Give it a try!

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 04:18:09 PM »
Thank you

The sprocket issue should hopefully be a non problem for me, I usually run 25-9 or thereabouts anyways. Plus the CS on the 2019 are longer so like you suggested maybe it is not so much an issue now.

I've never had a frame with an integrated seat clamp before, im not sure how I feel about this trend. Is it not possible that it can become stripped out or otherwise damaged? Then what? Hopefully the clamping power of your utopias seat clamp is just a fluke, I would be very frustrated with a frame Like that.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 10:57:57 PM »
I remember Matthias having trouble with a broken screw of the integrated clamp of his ABT frame in Hungary years ago. The rest was stuck in the thread of the frame...Lucky we are the companies learned from those early problems. The Utopia has a removable nut on one side of the clamp. So even if you overtighten it, you can exchange the screw and the nut...The only thing that might happen is that the part of the frame where the screw and nut goes through will crack due to overtightening. Even then you might be able to cut off/grind the integrated clamp and put on a normal one (the issue here would be that the seat tube ends shortly above the top tube). But this area looks solid on this frame so I am pretty sure you won't have problems here.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 11:13:49 PM »
That makes sense. Thank you for the input.

Offline a08

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 01:42:46 AM »
would love this thing. I like riding a longer TT (super long for flatland standard at 20.5) but wish my frame had a shorter rear.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 06:18:06 AM »
would love this thing. I like riding a longer TT (super long for flatland standard at 20.5) but wish my frame had a shorter rear.

I debated for awhile whether to go with the Utopia with 20" TT or to find another frame with a 20.5". I finally decided to go with utopia, I recently purchased one but it'll be awhile before I get it built up. Pretty excited, my last new bike was back in like 2005 or 2006, lol.

I'm pretty used to having the rear end of my bike around 13-13.2". I sometimes wonder if I'd benefit from a little longer back end, like maybe 13.5-13.7.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 08:28:30 PM »
So I got my Utopia frame yesterday and built it up using most of the parts from my old bike (2004 WTP Div with 19.3" TT)

So far I'm liking this new frame. The longer top tube feels nice with tricks like cross handed spinning steam rollers and spinning Karl cruisers and such. The seat feels further away from the handlebars which is nice, on a shorter top tube I feel too cramped I think because I'm a tall guy with long arms.

Back wheel tricks also feel nice because I don't feel so hunched over. For example, spinning time machines felt awkward on my DIV because when I would pull into a fast spin the front peg and handlebar felt too low. Now they feel higher and it's more comfortable. Even dork wheelies and mega spins feel more natural.

Admittedly some tricks feel more awkward now but I was expecting this, new geometry always takes awhile to readjust to and any changes are always a catch 22 where some tricks become easier and others harder. For example right now mc circles feel awkward and I'm not sure if it's because the bike is longer or because it's lighter (I lost almost a half pound with new setup) or what. It almost feels like the head tube angle is too steep, but I don't think that's the problem, both frames have the same angle and I didn't change anything with my fork setup beyond a different headset and a bit more spacers on top since it was needed to keep handlebars at the same height.

Hang nothings are also more difficult because I feel too far back but I think I can correct this by adjusting the seat height  a bit.

My only legitimate complaint is about the rear dropouts. They are too short. I first tried setting rear wheel near a slammed in position but then the pegs were not flush because of how the chain and seat stay tubes connect to the dropout. So I added a single link but then the pegs hang off the end of the dropout just enough that chain tensioners could not be used. The only solution was to use a half link, with that the position is perfect. If they had made the dropouts a little longer then it would give a bit more options, alternatively they should have included integrated chain tensioners. Not sure why they didn't with the 2019 version, the previous years they did. BTW, I'm running 25/9. I think maybe changing to 24/9, 26/9 or similar might also help dial the position in too.

All said I am happy :) I may get some photos and put them in the bike check subforum.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:20:02 AM by aliasdck »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 09:28:17 PM »
Thanks for this detailed report!I personally do not like longer frames although I am 1.88 m, but I agree that it helps for some tricks.I am really surprised that the frame does not have the integrated chain tensioners any more because I consider them one of the best invention for years!By the way: Maybe you want to check out my old post concerning gear ration vs. chainstay length:http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=54332.msg442267#msg442267

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 10:46:12 PM »
Thank you DaddyCool this formula is very helpful, now I have an idea what kind of change will happen if I try different sprocket sizes :)

The formula was a bit off for me though, but still I can use it to see what kind of changes will happen. I have 25/9 ratio and my chain has 72 sections, formula (if I did it correctly) says chain stay length will be about 35cm. When I measure it, it appears to be about 34cm, so pretty close.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:19:07 AM by aliasdck »

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 01:18:32 AM »
My bad, last few posts I mentioned I was running 24/9 gear ratio. I just double checked by recounting number of teeth on my sprocket and discovered I'm actually running 25/9. I have edited the above posts so the information is correct.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 02:30:24 PM »
Whoa great write up! It’s rare we get anything like that nowadays. The short dropouts are a consequence of modern frame design and weight savings, so one must be accustomed to using a half link. Not bad tho—odsy Bluebird chain is a safe bet. Would be great to see pics of her! ImgBB is the easiest way to upload to the forums.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 07:37:19 PM »
I get it, modern designs and all that. Plus i think it does look really clean with the small dropouts.

I'm no stranger to using half links as I'm pretty particular to back wheel placement, I guess I just like complaining, lol.