Author Topic: My flatland update :)  (Read 3380 times)

Offline deacon

• Funky Chicken
My flatland update :)
« on: July 11, 2018, 07:15:50 AM »
Thought I'd start a thread about my progress and see if anyone has any advice. Not like the forum gets overwhelmed with junk posts so it'll just have this one :)
Been riding a lot more recently, approx 1-2 hours a night and it really feels like things are coming together, I've even managed to land some tricks lol.
Fork glides- can get these everyone now, and feel really relaxed with them, I can also throw a b/w steamroller (I think) which doesn't feel too tricky to roll.
Hang fives- still love trying them/still rubbish at them. Main thing is I'm not scared of them. I'm happy to fall forwards now and tend to get them 1-2 car park spaces long.
I've always wanted to do a decade (it's the reason I bought a flatland bike) and after lots and lots of fails I decided boomerangs would be a good stepping stone. Landed about 8 this week and feel like decaded aren't a lifetime away now. :)
I also bought some zero offset forks as someone was selling a pair on facebook at a great price. Didn't really know what to expect but thought I'd try them, but the bike seems more responsive although with a little less stability. Hang fives feel a little more stable. I don't know the science but I'm enjoying the change.

I'm considering a lighter frame. I have a fly micromachine and it feels like a tank. Any ideas what a good beginners/modern/light frame would be?
Something I can keep an eye out on ebay/Facebook for as I'm skint lol

Also does anyone know what size seatpost I need for a fly micromachine? I could just take it to the shop but I'd rather buy from a flatland specific company. Also do I need a 300mm seatpost for flatland? Pretty sure my last one bent as its only in the bike about 50mm.

One last thing :) there's loads of these nice multitools in the market from shadow conspiracy etc but the wheel nut sockets are all 17mm. Does my bike have smaller nuts because its a cheapie or because flatland bikes have thinner/lighter axles.

Sorry about all the inane questions but it seems in a lone ranger in Sheffield so don't have any locals to ask these newbie questions to.

Deacon

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: My flatland update :)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 11:04:57 AM »
Most modern frames are light these days. Any frame should suit a beginner, its more about what size frame you want.

There are different sized axle nuts, both the hex/outer and the axle size/inner. Most street bikes have 3/8 (10mm) front and 14mm rear. Most flat bikes have 3/8 front and rear, however there is no golden rule. Alot of modern freecoasters have 14mm axles.

There is no universal standard for the hex on the axle nuts. Its whatever the company wanted to use, not to do with cost. You can easily swap out the axle nuts to suit your multi tool.

As for seat post lengths, again its up to your preference. Try different seat heights to see what suits. Good luck.  :mellow:

Offline deacon

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 10:27:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply paradoxium. How do I know what size frame I need, or is it just down to personal preference? I'm about 5'11" and about 12 1/2 stone. Also may sound a little silly but how would I measure my current bikes top tube? Is it centre of seat tube to centre of headset, or something different?

Offline ido rosen

• Hitchhiker
  • Flatland the Country
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »
Hi Deacon,
it's very nice to hear you are progressing!

frame size is a personal preference, but usually shorter riders prefer shorter frames but it's not a role or anything like that.

you are right regrading the top tube length, you measure it from center of seat tube to head tube center.
NOTE: effective top tube is measured when your measuring tape/ruler is parallel to the ground and not parallel to the top tube. that is because you could have a very long top tube but it may have a big slop so it's effectively not that long.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:08:29 PM by ido rosen »
Meditate Flatland

Offline deacon

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 07:29:17 PM »
Got ya! Cheers for the tip.