Author Topic: Bailing a lot and it feels so good!  (Read 4043 times)

Offline DSchmale

• Forkglider
Bailing a lot and it feels so good!
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:57:34 PM »
Hello everyone.  Just stopping in to say hello.  I built, then sold my flatland rig through here years ago.  Started riding a 24" cruiser everywhere after that, including the many miles to work and back everyday.  While it was good exercise, I miss the little bike.  My son just turned five and riding with him has me itching to get back into the sport. 

A friend gave me an old, problematic DK Opsis that I fixed up, put a cassette wheel on have been practicing with.  Geared it to 25/9 so I can actually ride places.  The old 28/14 with a cheap slack-laden freecoaster was a chore.  It's way heavier than I remember my old bike being but it works for now.  At 34 I'm more cautious than I remember as well.  Wearing the wrist guards helps loosen some inhibition learning whiplashes and going over the front every time. 

Anyway, it feels good to suck at something again, and enjoy it.  I hope anyone who's interested in the sport isn't intimidated and gives it an honest effort.  Say hello if you have a minute. 
Will power lasts two weeks and is soluble in alcohol.

Offline ido rosen

• Hitchhiker
  • Flatland the Country
Re: Bailing a lot and it feels so good!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 09:59:48 AM »

Hi There! Welcome back.

I'm 36, I came back to riding daily last December.
It feels great to ride again! I also bail a lot, once a street rider told me that even when you fall
your learning, I always remember that when i'm frustrated  B)
Also, when I try something that i'm hesitating to do, but I do it and I bail I feel very good because i'm less hesitated of trying it in the future.

Have a great time!  :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:04:00 AM by ido rosen »
Meditate Flatland

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 09:03:33 PM »
Welcome back to flat DSchmale!

I hear ya too on the being older and more cautious than when you were a kid. I got back into flat about 4 years ago (after 23 or so away) after my sons got tired of seeing my old '91 Ground Master hanging on the wall. I'm not riding that any more but did for a bit when picking up where I left off.

I'm 44 now and falling definitely feels way worse now than 23 years ago! Probably one of my biggest challenges when learning new things is getting over that fear of a hard fall. But, I'm mostly just stoked to be riding again! I'm lucky too that I work from home and can ride almost whenever I want (aka lunch break sessions :) )!

anyway, cheers!

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:51:56 PM »
Hey, I'm an older rider, too. Almost 44 and still going strong. After a two-decade break, I'm back in the game, and plan on throwing some racing in the mix, too. I fell yesterday and banged my knee just riding my racer. Still hurts, but it beats sitting on the couch wasting away.

Offline ido rosen

• Hitchhiker
  • Flatland the Country
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 09:01:01 PM »

Still hurts, but it beats sitting on the couch wasting away.

100% Right!  B)
Meditate Flatland

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 05:11:42 PM »
Still riding at 52 - if you're not bleeding, you're not trying!