Author Topic: Far East Cycles - Slimdawg Fork Hub Combo  (Read 4060 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Far East Cycles - Slimdawg Fork Hub Combo
« on: April 20, 2018, 07:27:26 AM »

Jean-William Prevost announced a new innovative Far East Cycles product. Here is his comment and explanation on the Slimdawg:

"I'm blessed to have Far East Cycles produce my signature flatland fork-hub combo this year. The name is SLIMDAWG. 85MM width instead of 100MM. The concept is simple yet the implications are great. Ride longer pegs without getting further away from the wheel, or just get closer to the center of the wheel! More clearance without having to pull more! It will be sold with a carbon/aluminium hub shell or entire aluminium CNC'd hub. Will be available only for 10MM axles at 2 price ranges. Stay tuned!"

We like the attention to the detail! Let's see if this might become the new standard.

Offline ido rosen

• Hitchhiker
  • Flatland the Country
Re: Far East Cycles - Slimdawg Fork Hub Combo
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 03:30:29 PM »

Isn't that will create problems?
1) A rider who buys this fork will HAVE to use this particular hub (no other bmx front hub will fit).
2) Let's say that I want that fork hub combo, I will also need to replace all my spokes with shorter spokes since the hub is narrower.
3) Since my front wheel won't fit that fork I will need to build a new wheel with that new hub, that's a lot more work if I do it alone or more money if someone else will do it for me.

What do you people think?
Meditate Flatland

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 08:19:16 PM »
Hi ido rosen,
I personally do not see so much benefit for me. I can understand the idea but I think I do not need it. Of course you are right. You need to build a new front wheel and you can only use that hub...
I could imagine that the narrow hub will weaken the wheel. But maybe this is not so much.
It is good to see that people come up with new ideas to make their bike fit better to their riding style. Why not?

Offline ido rosen

• Hitchhiker
  • Flatland the Country
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »
Thanks daddy cool.
It's good to fit parts for a riding style, like we have shorter stems, shorter frames, zero offset forks and straight bars. But, all these parts which I mentioned does try to create a new standard (all of these 'smaller' flatland parts will fit on any bmx) which can complicate the process of replacing parts in case you need to or just want to because you want something else.
I think that trying to create a new standard is a good thing because I personally like innovation, but only if it is really needed.
I totally forgot, I like to grab the fork legs in some back wheel tricks. with todays forks I can sometime grab until the middle or the end of the fork leg, it depends on the design of the fork and also the hub (fingers can get rubbed on the spokes when you grab from inside the fork leg).
So, I hope that when designing this fork they will take that into consideration.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:52:52 AM by ido rosen »
Meditate Flatland

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 01:30:51 PM »
Will the UCI approve...
Flat-ism

Offline ido rosen

• Hitchhiker
  • Flatland the Country
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 02:00:19 PM »
Meditate Flatland

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 08:20:20 PM »
interesting I wonder how this will affect clearance for larger tires such as ares 1.9’s
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)