Author Topic: UCI BMX Flatland World Cup announced  (Read 7946 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
UCI BMX Flatland World Cup announced
« on: March 04, 2018, 11:57:53 AM »

The UCI announced through their Instagram account @ucibmxfreestyle that there will be 5 UCI BMX Flatland World Cups this year. Some of you might be wondering what the UCI is. Let's take a look at Wikipedia:

"The Union Cycliste Internationale (English: International Cycling Union) is the world governing body for sports cycling and oversees international competitive cycling events. The UCI is based in Aigle, Switzerland. The UCI issues racing licenses to riders and enforces disciplinary rules, such as in matters of doping. The UCI also manages the classification of races and the points ranking system in various cycling disciplines including road and track cycling mountain biking and BMX, for both men and women, amateur and professional. It also oversees the World Championships."

Having a UCI World Cup certainly has the potential to give flatland more exposure and a professional platform. On the other hand it means there will be a certain set of rules for the UCI events and we'll see how well flatland can fit into those rules. We think it's a step in the right direction and a chance for flatland to grow. 

FISE and the UCI teamed up which means the FISE World Series events are going to be part of the UCI World Cup: "FISE World Series has teamed up with the main international federations to organise some of the biggest action sports competitions of the early season. Spectators can witness riders taking part in events such as the UCI BMX Freestyle Park World Cup and the UCI BMX Freestyle Flatland World Cup."

Besides the short announcement on Instagram there are no further information available yet but stay tuned!

Offline ido rosen

• Hitchhiker
  • Flatland the Country
Re: UCI BMX Flatland World Cup announced
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:21:56 PM »
I think that this is really great!

I don't understand one thing, how can there be 5 world cups in the same year?
Isn't a world cup equals to a world championship?

Thanks.
Meditate Flatland

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 12:23:40 PM »
I was on board with this...at first. Then it made me remember that UCI is also involved in USABMX, and how racing has taken a severe downturn. Silky smooth tracks have replaced the dirt of old. And side plates...ugh. Don't even get me started on that one. Mat Hoffman recently made a post about why he's against this, and I wholeheartedly agree with his points. For now, I'll just watch and see how UCI is going to handle flatland, and judging contests. It'll be interesting, to say the least.

Offline ido rosen

• Hitchhiker
  • Flatland the Country
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:35:58 AM »
Looks like it's going in the right direction.

Here is a fresh article about it into details:

https://www.vitalbmx.com/features/UCI-Flatland-2018,6033
Meditate Flatland

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:39:25 PM »
I think we'll see lots of rules, strict formats, very strict drug testing, etc. Gymnastics on bikes, really.

Offline ido rosen

• Hitchhiker
  • Flatland the Country
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 01:16:05 PM »

I think we'll see lots of rules, strict formats, very strict drug testing, etc. Gymnastics on bikes, really.

that article named the names of some very respectful flatland riders which are making the rules and formats, so I think that should be good, don't you think so?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:34:01 PM by ido rosen »
Meditate Flatland

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 03:29:51 PM »
Many of you have already read what Mat Hoffman has to say about his experience with the UCI:

https://bmxunion.com/daily/mat-hoffmans-open-letter-to-the-uci-and-ioc/

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:35:18 PM by out~riding »

Offline ido rosen

• Hitchhiker
  • Flatland the Country
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »
Yes, I have read the letter from Matt Hoffman, I really respect him and his opinion and I also respect the flatlanders who cooperated with the UCI and their opinion.

I'm aware that right now it appears (maybe it's not like that) that there are two sides to this thing, I wish it wasn't so, we're all riders  B)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 03:45:04 PM by ido rosen »
Meditate Flatland

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 06:28:16 PM »

that article named the names of some very respectful flatland riders which are making the rules and formats, so I think that should be good, don't you think so?

talking about the rules:

below is February update of the UCI rules on BMX Park and Flatland comps organized by UCI (or a National Cycling Federation? it’s not clear), 32 pages =

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/18/16/66/24.01.20186bisBMXFreestyle-EN-2018rightsidewebsite_English.pdf

some “details” will make it less freestyle on and off the flatland area..

Offline bmxelement90

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 07:31:45 PM »
meh. i'll stick to grassroots type jams instead

Offline ido rosen

• Hitchhiker
  • Flatland the Country
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 10:12:26 PM »
meh. i'll stick to grassroots type jams instead
I wish I could stick to grassroots jams, I need a 4 hour flight to Europe and a 12 hour flight to the USA or Canada, not to mention hotels and flights expenses.
You are Lucky !  ;D :D :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:29:30 PM by ido rosen »
Meditate Flatland

Offline JoeKickass

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 10:40:13 PM »
This is a good thing.

Sorry Hoffman isn't involved -- but he should put his butthurtness aside and support something that is overwhelmingly positive for the BMX community. He had his time and brought BMX to the X Games, which many would argue morphed it into a freak show. Anycrap, I support this new development with the UCI.
"You can ride brakeless with brakes." -- Scott O