Author Topic: Anyone below 5'9" ride a 19.5 or longer?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline thomas

• Hitchhiker
Anyone below 5'9" ride a 19.5 or longer?
« on: October 20, 2017, 06:22:45 PM »
I'm interested to know what the difference is between a longer TT and a shorter TT.  Any feedback would be great, thanks. 

Interested to know, responsiveness with backwheel stuff, whiplashes, front wheel spinning, etc. compared to shorter frame.

Go Seahawks.

Thomas

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: Anyone below 5'9" ride a 19.5 or longer?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 08:40:16 PM »
Hi,
I am 1.88 m and I rode a 19.2" TT for many years. Then I tried 19.5" and thought I would hardly feel a difference. But there was. The wheelbase (which is the measurement that has a big influence on back wheel tricks and others, more than the TT) was 2 cm longer and I especially felt the difference when doing hitchhiker combos. I felt it was less comfortable to handle the bike. Whipping from a hitchhiker to a steamroller was not so nice any more because the back wheel is higher in front of the body during the hitchhiker.
A caboose for example felt a little more comfortable.
The seat was a little more far away from the handlebar (which I kept in the same position) and for steamrollers I did not like it.
So in the end I switched back to a 19.2" TT but the wheelbase is now between the old 19.2" TT frame and the 19.2" TT frame because of different angles.
I know that today many shorther riders use longer frames but it it personal preference. For me it is not so good.
Maybe you can try a used frame with similar angles and CS length but longer TT so you can try it by yourself. Then you can decide about future options.

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:59:43 AM »
I'm 5'5", and currently riding an Ares with a 17.9" top tube. Stull getting used to it. Longer frames tend to be more forgiving when it comes to balance. Not so much for shorter frames. But I do like my frame.

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 02:26:09 PM »
I'm 5'8" and started experimenting with longer frames about 5 years ago.

I moved from an 18.25" to a 19.5" but didn't like it so went back to 18.25".

However recently I was replacing my street frame and decided to go from a 20.75" down to a 20" and I have to say- it's actually a great flatland bike.

Offline thomas

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 11:28:26 PM »
Thank you all for detailed answers