Author Topic: Help starting flatland please :)  (Read 6888 times)

Offline deacon

• Funky Chicken
Re: Help starting flatland please :)
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 09:20:30 PM »
Another couple of Beginner questions coming up:

Tyre pressure? I'm riding about 100psi, that about right? Should I go higher?

Brake tuning. How can something so obvious be so difficult. No matter what I do the brakes are never sharp. Tried googling but can't find an answer lol.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 08:53:33 PM »
Some people ride 9 bar. But 7 bar or 8 bar should be ok in the beginning. It also depends on you weight...
What do you mean your brakes are not sharp? The braking power is too low? I assume you have a u-brake for both wheels, right? What kind of rims do you have? Black anodised, painted (mainly to be found at coloured rims) or chrome? This makes a difference...
You can try those clear brake pads like Baradine or similar. They are very soft and grippy. The disadvantage is that you can not brake only a little bit so easy anymore. You brake or you don't. But if you want higher maximum brake power you should try them. But expect them to squeak!

Offline deacon

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »
I'm riding 7bar (100psi) at the minute but I'll go up to eight and see how it feels.
My brakes are U-brakes on black rims, and the guy who I bought the bike off said it had been sitting in his shed for a year. I've just had a quick google and there's a bmx specific bike shop in my town. They sell clear Odyssey Pads and clear Savage Pads. They're only £4 a pair so I'll give them a try.

This is the bike I bought (if the link works).
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/customised-flybikes-micromachine-flatland-bmx-rare-us-import-/1268555066

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 11:22:52 AM »
Hi,
the bike looks good! Maybe you can try different settings. I would have the seat a few cm higher and the handlebar more to the back (roughly parallel to the fork). But this is personal preference.
With clear brake pads you should have good braking power. The Dia Compe Tech 99 levers (am I right?) with those brake should do a good job.
Good luck with the decade! It is basically my favourite trick. It feels good to pull it...  :D