Author Topic: What's your favorite freecoaster?  (Read 8417 times)

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
What's your favorite freecoaster?
« on: September 04, 2017, 03:42:31 AM »
I would like to know what freecoasters you have rode?
Likes or dislikes about it and what not.....and go......
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: What's your favorite freecoaster?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »
Hi. I used the older KHE freecoaster from the 90s for a long time. They had some issues but worked quite ok for me.
Since 2010 I use a KHE Reverse ACB on my main bike without any problems. I think I haven't even regreased it. The driver bearings are not running smooth anymore but the functionality is not affected.
Soon I will test a used Ezra hub on another bike. Let's see...

Offline eiji

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 05:00:51 PM »
 ;D My favorite is the NYB, easy to adjust and economical parts ;D

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
I'm pretty happy with the merrit freecoaster (or any khe style really). engagement is smooth, non jarring to the internals, no clicking/popping like on ezra or Zcoaster. Good sealed bearings, diamond polymer driver bearing=no blowouts. only complaint would be the somewhat finnicky amount of tension needed on the cones. Not an issue on most khe style coasters--may have something to do with me popping the axle out and adding more spacers to decrease the slack.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 06:44:51 PM »
The only 2 I have used is nankai and khe geshia
My favorite is the nankai.
Was curious how people like the profile one...do the bearings last? Any issues with it?
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline bmxgoat95

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 04:19:16 PM »

Hello,
it's been a while since the last discussion. I personally have no experience with it, so I cannot give any information.

Do you have any experience with Freecoaster and can you recommend some?

I would appreciate any advice and answer!

Many thanks in advance!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 08:53:25 PM »
A lot of us I think have been very happy with the Far East freecoaster now that they have proven themselves to be maintenance free, reliable and cost efficient.

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 09:53:47 PM »
A lot of us I think have been very happy with the Far East freecoaster now that they have proven themselves to be maintenance free, reliable and cost efficient.

That's good to know as I want to build up new wheels sometime soon. My old wheels are getting up there in age (15 years for rear, not sure about front) the chrome is chipping and spare parts for the freecoaster is getting harder to find. I'll probably go with a FEC freecoaster when the time comes.

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 03:49:22 AM »
Suntour or Nankai for sure

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 01:09:50 PM »

Dax - how do you feel about the gap? I rode one two days and couldn't ride out of half my tricks because the pedal gap (back wheel ride outs)....I'm sure you can learn to adjust, I just didn't like it
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline aliasdck

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 05:51:15 PM »
Im wondering too about the gap. My old nankai (got second hand used from a friend a long time ago) has always had almost no noticeable gap whatsoever, I don't know if this is normal or if he modified it somehow (everything looks stock when Ive regreased it) but I've gotten very used to it over the years, I've got an FEC freecoaster on the way now though and I suspect I will be frustrated at first as I learn to adapt.

I need some gap though, been farting around with some backwheel pedal tricks and the almost imperceptible amount of gap on my current coaster is proving to be problematic. Just the tinnest amount of turn on the cranks is enough to engage it, I think a larger gap, once I get used to it, will be better for some of the tricks I'm starting to work on.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 06:36:50 PM »

Dax - how do you feel about the gap? I rode one two days and couldn't ride out of half my tricks because the pedal gap (back wheel ride outs)....I'm sure you can learn to adjust, I just didn't like it

Huffman the gap is considerable but for some people that is perfect. I don't want mine to accidentally engage and am quite used to the gap. If you are someone who doesn't like gap at all then steer clear of it. On my 18/9 gearing there is abouut 90 degrees of gap. it's perfect especially when doing backwards manuals and worried it might engage. What you could do is rotate it forward a hair so that the amount needed to engage is less

Offline mal

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 11:13:19 AM »
Im wondering too about the gap. My old nankai (got second hand used from a friend a long time ago) has always had almost no noticeable gap whatsoever, I don't know if this is normal or if he modified it somehow (everything looks stock when Ive regreased it) but I've gotten very used to it over the years, I've got an FEC freecoaster on the way now though and I suspect I will be frustrated at first as I learn to adapt.

I need some gap though, been farting around with some backwheel pedal tricks and the almost imperceptible amount of gap on my current coaster is proving to be problematic. Just the tinnest amount of turn on the cranks is enough to engage it, I think a larger gap, once I get used to it, will be better for some of the tricks I'm starting to work on.
khe greyhound adjustable..slack problems solved
you can even change the slack during your session,for trying different tricks,as it is externally adjusted with a allen key

Offline mtbmonkey

• Forkglider
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 03:15:06 AM »
I haven't seen anyone mention the Profile Z Coaster.  I was considering this one because I can get it in white.  Any reason not to get one?

Offline Mambocowboy

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 08:13:13 AM »
I haven't seen anyone mention the Profile Z Coaster.  I was considering this one because I can get it in white.  Any reason not to get one?
I have one . It skips / pops and is nowhere as smooth as the FEC I have.