Author Topic: Strongest freecoaster for 3/8 dropouts?  (Read 3961 times)

Offline jcc34

Strongest freecoaster for 3/8 dropouts?
« on: August 26, 2017, 12:21:34 PM »
Hi people

What do you think is the best choice if you need to run a freecoaster with a 3/8 axle and want it to be as solid as possible?  Particularly the axle.

I'm trying to run a freestyle / hybrid bike setup, that I can use for flat as well as park / street (nothing very crazy).  I'm wondering whether it was a mistake buying a bike with 3/8 rear dropouts and trying to make the tough decision of whether to part ways with my steed.  Imput would be much appreciated.  I doubt I can afford a Z-coaster.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Strongest freecoaster for 3/8 dropouts?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 08:00:40 PM »
probably the st martin or Far East, I say this based on freecoasters that will fit a purely 3/8 frame. Some of the freecoasters have a 14mm shelf but use 3/8 bolts which would not fit a 3/8 frame, only a 14mm frame.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 11:34:28 PM »
Hi,
I am not sure if this is feasible but I would think about a female axle system with 10 mm bolt like the KHE Greyhound Street and cut the axle. The original one is meant to fit 14 mm dropout and 10 mm pegs. So the axle is 118 mm wide and sits inside the dropouts. If you would cut it to 110 mm, you would have the 10 mm bolt inside the dropout and you would have a steel inner axle whereas the Greyhound Flat has an aluminium inner axle...
Could this be an option?

Offline jcc34

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 07:39:12 AM »
DaddyCool

To the best of my thinking, I could get say a Federal female freecoaster with 10mm bolts - in order to to fit it into 3/8 dropouts I'd basically be cutting a slice off the very ends of the 14mm central axle and allowing the dropouts to fit around the bolts directly.  I guess the danger then would be damaging the threads?

I have heard about slotted axles and thought about that possibility.  I reckon using a freecoaster with a solid 14mm axle (not hollow) would be best for this, and the only freecoaster I know with a solid 14mm axle is the Shadow one.  I'm not a mechanic, so I may be wrong on this stuff.

Offline jcc34

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:47:39 AM »
Yeah the St Martin Etoile or Far East Cycles freecoaster look like good options with 10mm female axles.  I was looking at the Etoile possibly with titanium bolts, as perhaps my best option.  I already have the St Martin Evo freecoaster, which is basically the previous male version, so the question is would it be much stronger?  If it saves me a broken hub it'd be worth it.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 12:27:58 PM »
I've had this issue before so I scribed a 2mm line per side in the paint and opened up the dropouts to 14mm with a grinder. This can only be done if you have solid dropouts without the common weight saving machining recesses and holes. It does void warranties though. 

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 02:58:19 PM »
Hi jcc34,
I think you could prepare a slotted axle as you described it from a 14 mm hollow female system. But I think it would not give much benefit compared to cutting the axle completely because the remaining material would only be in the horizontal direction within the dropout where I would not expect to much forces. And by the way: Almost all front hubs today have a 14 mm hollow axle within the dropout and 10 mm bolts. I assume that this is stronger as a 10 mm male axle.
But as Paradoxium said: If you see a chance to widen the dropout slots to 14 mm it would be much easier and most probably stronger to use a 14 mm hollow male axle...
I would say female like for front hubs is stronger than 10 mm male and 14 mm hollow is even stronger and will be enough I guess. 14 mm solid is not necessary and heavier.