Author Topic: Rims for a big guy (Birdcage or Ribcage)  (Read 9203 times)

Offline Littlebike

Rims for a big guy (Birdcage or Ribcage)
« on: August 14, 2017, 02:59:50 PM »
I'm 6'+ and 230lbs and ride flatland only (don't recall the last time I even bunnyhopped).

I've had the same Peregrine Super-Pro 48's for more than 15 years. I've never had to true them since the break-in period.

Now that I am back riding I want to lighten up my bike with a new set of 36 hole wheels and torn between two rims:
G-sport Birdcage
G-sport Ribcage

I've never been a person to tear up a set of wheels - even when I rode trials - so I would like to think I can ride the Birdcage without issues, however, going from 48h to 36h gives me some concern.

Anybody have experience with these rims?
Thoughts?

Offline eightyfivegt

• Hitchhiker
Re: Rims for a big guy (Birdcage or Ribcage)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 06:18:39 PM »
Improvements in the structural designs of rims over the years has dictated the need for fewer spokes.  Either of those rims should serve you well as far as strength goes.  If you do tricks that involve grabbing your wheels, the Birdcage should be more comfortable on your hands.

Offline Littlebike

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 08:24:15 PM »
I figured that would be the case but thought I check anyway. I'm a big guy but rarely breaks parts.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 09:13:04 PM »
Yeah the birdcage would probably hold up but the gsport rollcage is your best bet
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline getzfafive

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 01:49:10 PM »
I'm over 200lbs and 6' tall.  I have been using birdcages for years and have never had an issue.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »
I'm over 200lbs and 6' tall.  I have been using birdcages for years and have never had an issue.

Birdcages are REALLY good just have to be careful with them since they like to volcano or bulge out around the spoke nipples. Thus don't overtighten your spokes. Also they require just a bit more maintenance (on the rear especially) to keep perfectly true. They're a light and strong rim but you do pay a premium.

I had run birdcages ever since they came out 5 years ago, but have just switched to sun rims and very happy with them! I like the eyelets. Rhynolite XL rear and Envy up front. I do lots of whoppers so wanted a little heavier duty rim in the rear

Offline Littlebike

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 04:51:34 PM »
No whoppers here.
As for tension, I know to much is a bad thing and since I was a bike mechanic for years I have little concern in regard to maintenance; I enjoy it actually.

I'm a bit up in the air.

Ultimately my goal is build a lighter wheelset but no reason to go down the rabbit hold of extremes.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 07:56:50 PM »
No whoppers here.
As for tension, I know to much is a bad thing and since I was a bike mechanic for years I have little concern in regard to maintenance; I enjoy it actually.

I'm a bit up in the air.

Ultimately my goal is build a lighter wheelset but no reason to go down the rabbit hold of extremes.

Ah I meant I wanted something a little heavier duty than a sun envy in the rear (on my new wheelset). Birdcages actually held up great to my whoppers! And for the price and getting something local here in FL I went with sun rims instead of odsy/gsport which are my usual faves.

Offline Littlebike

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 04:43:12 AM »
This will be my new wheel set later this week, I hope:

dtswiss straight gauge spokes  - Silver
GSport Ribcage rims  - Chrome
Ezra rear hub - Black
Elcat Dynamic front hub - black

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 05:25:38 AM »
This will be my new wheel set later this week, I hope:

dtswiss straight gauge spokes  - Silver
GSport Ribcage rims  - Chrome
Ezra rear hub - Black
Elcat Dynamic front hub - black

Looks like a great setup now make sure you got some rimstrips (odyssey work great) and prepare to cover the little blow holes on the inside of the rims with electrical or gorilla tape to prevent flats

Also get Ares tubes (metal valve stems), a park tools spoke wrench (black most likely) and Lezyne pump

Happy riding!

Offline Littlebike

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 09:11:53 PM »
Very specific advice.

I worked as a bike mechanic for about 10 years. I'm looking forward to sitting in front of the TV and lacing these bad boys up; doubt my wife is going to be happy.

My favorite rim strips have always been a few layers of electrical tape but I think I'll get fancy and use gaffers tape this time around - top notch stuff.

I have a part professional truing stand and all the wrenches. The one item I don't have is a wheel dishing tool. I rarely ever used them, instead using the frame or truing stand to center iteratively.

At my age I prefer to use the 2hp compressor in the garage but have a nice Silca if I get really desperate. Never heard of a lezyne pump, I'll have to look to see what they are like. The silca is so smooth.

Offline Littlebike

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 10:54:54 PM »
Rims are done. Shockingly these are only a 1/2lb lighter than my Peregrine 48's with a Nankai Technolite hub. Almost wish I just kept my Peregrines.

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »
I've been running a Birdcage rim on the back now for a few years but noticed a couple of weeks ago that the spokes are beginning to pull through as metalbmxer described.

To be fair, I have given it a fair amount of abuse over the years so it doesn't owe me anything but I was still a little disappointed.
My Primo Balance 7 series rim on the front is older than the Birdcage and is still in really good shape.

Hence why I just replaced the Birdcage with a Primo VS yesterday.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 06:25:44 PM »
Very specific advice.

I worked as a bike mechanic for about 10 years. I'm looking forward to sitting in front of the TV and lacing these bad boys up; doubt my wife is going to be happy.

My favorite rim strips have always been a few layers of electrical tape but I think I'll get fancy and use gaffers tape this time around - top notch stuff.

I have a part professional truing stand and all the wrenches. The one item I don't have is a wheel dishing tool. I rarely ever used them, instead using the frame or truing stand to center iteratively.

At my age I prefer to use the 2hp compressor in the garage but have a nice Silca if I get really desperate. Never heard of a lezyne pump, I'll have to look to see what they are like. The silca is so smooth.

Sounds like you have a fair bit of experience working on bikes. Shouldn't be too bad then. I always use the gsport wheel building masterclass. Why wouldn't your wife be happy? Dirt on sofa? Focused on bike or spending extra $? Never been a dirty process unless you use old spokes or get crazy and start using grease (not recommended)

Gaffers tape? Never heard of it--that the road race tape?

No dish tool necesssry, good u got the truing stand and spoke wrenches tho.

I like a high quality pump which makes it easy to get the pressure just right (accurate gauge) and not let air out when popping off the valve. 140 psi in my case, checked every time I ride. 

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 06:26:47 PM »
Rims are done. Shockingly these are only a 1/2lb lighter than my Peregrine 48's with a Nankai Technolite hub. Almost wish I just kept my Peregrines.

Nice! 1/2 lb is a good bit--you will notice it due to rotating weight and inertia improvements