Author Topic: KGB Runkai problem! - pedals move forward !!!  (Read 2132 times)

Offline franciscofromperu

• Backpacker
  • expect the unexpected
KGB Runkai problem! - pedals move forward !!!
« on: August 22, 2017, 07:16:55 PM »
Hi everybody, could somebody help me with this problem.
My KGB Runkai freecoaster hub has a trouble, if I pedalling the bike without weight on it, works normal, but if I seat or stand on it (only in the backwheel), the pedals starts to move forward, and if I tried to ride on the backwheel... you know what happened  >:(

How can i fix it?
somebody has the solution?

thanks!

kind regards
Francisco

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
Re: KGB Runkai problem! - pedals move forward !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 02:46:46 PM »
I've never worked on a Runkai hub before but it could be a number of things.

If you have been riding the hub for a while and haven't changed the driver bearings yet give that a go first.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 12:23:45 PM »
Hi Francisco. I've not had one of these hubs but it looks like a boo2. Most common solution to ghost pedalling is to run the chain super tight to give a bit of resistance. Maybe someone with a boo hub can confirm if its the same and offer more help. Good luck.  :mellow:

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 08:24:39 PM »
Hi, I also did not use the Runkai hub. But from my understanding of coaster-type hubs I would not say the driver bearing should be the reason, because even if it is very rough, it does not spin as long as you do not pedal, so even higher restistance should not build up a momentum on the driver to make it spin.
The big bearing behind the driver (which is put into the hub shell on the drive side) would cause momentum on the driver. Imagine this bearing is very rough spinning or even stuck. Then it would necessarily spin the driver and the crank would move... So I would start checking this bearing.
Maybe it also helps to grease the whole system (clutch, thread on driver and so on).
I hope this helps.

Offline letsgo

• Backpacker
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
It is the same hub as the Taska and Ares Boo.  Check to see if the cone nuts are loose or stripped.  This is probably the cause.