Author Topic: Odyssey clutch opinions  (Read 2775 times)

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
Odyssey clutch opinions
« on: April 11, 2017, 12:09:42 PM »
Hello,
is there anybody that has this freecoaster?
Is it good?I use khe style coasters the last 8-9 year maybe,but there is a wobble after sometime because of the shel.
Also can i have the gap at 1/4 of the turn?As i need lot of gap for using it for backwheel pedal tricks.
Thank you

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Odyssey clutch opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 12:38:58 AM »
Hey what's up Sakis, i found the clutch to be a very nice freecoaster that would definitely approach about 1/4 crank gap. Was very reliable with ZERO wobble to it. For some reason the engagement was not as smooth as it could have been which is why I sold it. Also I liked about 1/6 gap but it would get just a hair longer because the adjustable washer would crack. Now I do not anticipate this being a problem for you because you would be setting yours at the max nearly and thus would not really be putting any pressure on the washer by using the grub screw.

Are you considering the V1 or V2? The V2 is a full 14mm bolt design so you wouldn't have to fiddle with having a 3/8 bolt on the drive side. V1 is probably cheaper and would work well with the 3/8 conversion kit.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 01:35:03 PM »
Hello Dax,
thank you for the reply,
Well i read that the v2 has bigger slack,so i think thats better,and my frame and pegs are 14mm and the difference is about 50 euro for a new one.
The bigger slack is good for me as i want to learn some pedal switches that will need big slack so i will not go over the bike in case it will engage by wrong execution of the trick.Better safe than sorry so v2 is my next coaster!
Ride on

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 01:54:47 AM »
I have owned and ridden the V1, and recently built up a new wheel set with the V2. I always ran really short slack on my V1. I replaced the driver bearing once but otherwise never had any trouble with it.

I have ridden the V2 for a few weeks now and the engagement feels a little more rigid than the V1 did. I can empathize with Dax a little on his experience with the V1. I think the engagement will improve as I ride it more. The beauty of this coaster is that you can adjust it on the fly without having to remove the wheel from your bike. I really like that feature. I have my V2 set to stock slack right now, that is to say I have not adjusted it since I got it new. It is almost to the 1/4 crank for me on a 25/9 gear ratio. I have been happy with it like this and haven't found a need to adjust it. I assume you can add more slack to this, and definitely take away slack as well.

I have not been disappointed with this coaster at all, in either version. I ran the V1 with a converted 3/8 axle, but my new frame was 14mm and I bought the V2 for it.

Hope this information helps.

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »
Thank you,yes i think i ll build a new wheel for my normal bike.Kind regards

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 08:02:26 AM »
I have owned and ridden the V1, and recently built up a new wheel set with the V2. I always ran really short slack on my V1. I replaced the driver bearing once but otherwise never had any trouble with it.

I have ridden the V2 for a few weeks now and the engagement feels a little more rigid than the V1 did. I can empathize with Dax a little on his experience with the V1. I think the engagement will improve as I ride it more. The beauty of this coaster is that you can adjust it on the fly without having to remove the wheel from your bike. I really like that feature. I have my V2 set to stock slack right now, that is to say I have not adjusted it since I got it new. It is almost to the 1/4 crank for me on a 25/9 gear ratio. I have been happy with it like this and haven't found a need to adjust it. I assume you can add more slack to this, and definitely take away slack as well.

I have not been disappointed with this coaster at all, in either version. I ran the V1 with a converted 3/8 axle, but my new frame was 14mm and I bought the V2 for it.

Hope this information helps.

Great writeup David!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »
I haven't personally tested one yet but a friend that rides street has one and he says it's better than the Cult or Macneil he rode before.