Author Topic: Sun envy rims  (Read 2337 times)

Offline masonmar

• Forkglider
Sun envy rims
« on: February 01, 2017, 06:57:31 AM »
Just laced up a sun envy front rim to my KHE freecoaster. I'm using ti spokes 3 cross with primo 16mm long alloy nipples. The thing I've noticed that concerns me is, the nipple holes in the rim are drilled straight to the center of the rim instead of at a slight angle towards the hub flange. This is causing the spoke to have a little curve look at the nipple instead of a more straight line. The nipple comes out of the rim straight but the spoke curves towards the flange. Is this normal for these rims? Would a shorter nipple help? Has anyone had problems with this set up? I've seen a lot of riders using these rims so I figured they're pretty good.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Sun envy rims
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 03:43:46 PM »
That's going to happen on those type  of rims where the holes are dilled at the center.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 05:44:05 PM »
I have a KHE coaster laced 3x to Sun Envy also and I have the same issue with the spokes bending to meet the flanges (on the front wheel as well, but less so). I haven't had any problems with them in the year i've been riding them, but i'm not too hard of a shredder.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 09:40:03 PM »
I have the envy rim up front laced 36h/3x

It does the exact same thing coming off at an angle from the rim

Have not experienced a single problem with spoke breakage nor rim weakness

This is after hundreds of whoppers/tailwhips, cliffhanger turbines and many hard carving very leaned over rolling/spinning tricks

The rim is fantastic and I am very happy with it. I probably wouldn't run it on the rear just because of all the whoppers I do but it does great on the front. (Rhynolite XL is perfect on the rear due to the more robust construction).

One advantage to having the bend in the spokes is a little more flexibility and springiness to avoid spoke breakage or even worse, flange breakage on the hub.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline masonmar

• Forkglider
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 02:08:16 AM »
Thanks for the input guys,  I feel better now knowing this is normal for these rims.