Author Topic: finally  (Read 4231 times)

Offline gmotif6

finally
« on: September 14, 2007, 04:12:21 AM »
Ive been trying to land my 1st tailwhip since i got back into ridin (which was bout 3wks ago). every day i had been practicin this trick. I'm old skool 35 and when i started ridin it was called freestyln more than what its called now plus i was 12 and bout 5*4 or so and things where a bit easier. Now i'm older and 6*4 and finding out these tricks take a lot out of you. So i pick my son up from school and tell him i landed the tailwhip which i really had not. We go to the park and BAM landed it on the 3rd try. I felt like i just won some $ you couldnt tell me nothing. I felt like i could do anything  but that 1 trick took all my kinetic energy

joshd

Re: finally
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 04:42:12 AM »
rad!  over a few months time your energy (cardio?) will get better and you will be able to ride longer without getting tired as quick.  when i started a few years ago i could only ride for about five minutes at a time without feeling like i was going to die...now its significantly longer.

keep ridin...

jd.

Offline brigade4130

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 05:18:09 AM »
Now your about ready for a double tail-whip -_-  you bust that out and you will be super rad!   way to go :beer: soon Crew Jones won't have anything on you.
Ramps are rad and skateparks are scary, but flatland freestyle redefines the term "insane"

Harold "Mcgoo" McGruther - 1986 RadTV The Sequel

Offline RideFlat66

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 05:26:49 AM »
rad!  over a few months time your energy (cardio?) will get better and you will be able to ride longer without getting tired as quick.  when i started a few years ago i could only ride for about five minutes at a time without feeling like i was going to die...now its significantly longer.

keep ridin...

jd.

Thats how it was for me,Plus you will build muscle you haven't used in a while.
And it will become a little easier.
Try to work with the bike and not against it :mellow:

Thlayli

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 08:13:52 AM »
Not sure if this'll encourage you or not, but I'm about to hit 34 this month and, when I started up riding flat almost four years ago after a six-year break, I was getting really sore and constantly tired at first... but it got better as a little time wore on. In a little over a year's time, I ended up losing 40 pounds of sweat, and was able to pull off four hour sessions for a time, before I settled into my current lazy ways.

I guess my point was supposed to just be "it gets better", but it seems I like to talk about myself.

Get sore. Heal up a little, get sore again, heal up a little again... repeat until you get to skip the part where you get sore. It won't be long.

Expect your little scrapes and bruises to hang around a little longer, though. You'll marvel at how much pain you were able to ignore more thoroughly when you were younger.

britoca

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 08:32:38 AM »
gmotif6:
sweet man, grats!  I just pulled my first whip as well in over 6 years now.  Riding again is fun, but man, I get tired in no time!  Can I go back to my teens again? please?

Offline Gensanity

• GF Inhabitant
  • ....enjoy....
    • My Art For Free & For Sale
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 04:46:29 PM »
it's not so much just riding flat but the foot jam tailwhip in general seems to take a lot more energy out of you than other tricks.  You should notice when you try some rolling stuff that it doesn't take as much energy. 

But on tricks like the tailwhip where you're coming to a quick stop like that it seems to make me tired quicker.  Especially when you're not landing it.

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 04:52:25 PM »
Good Job!

Nothing like hitting a trick for the first time.

that feeling is always there.

Offline Tweekend

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 06:59:57 PM »
I just hit the big THREE-OH this year, and took up Flatland seriously just before turning 29.  I was always interested in it while growing up, and always wanted to get into it.  Bought the odd bike here and there, tried basic stuff, then got discouraged when I didn't learn anything quickly.  lol  Now I try to ride everyday!!  Just wish I took it up when I first learned about 'Freestyle BMX', back in '87. 
Anyway, I remember how hard it was to learn Fork-Glides a year and a half ago, and now im bustin Time Machines!!  Nothing like landing a new trick for the first time :) 
Tell ya what, though, do some runnin or weight training, and you'll have THAT much more stamina and endurance to practice a trick for hours on end.  Learning Hang-Nothings absolutely kaned my arms for hours!!  lol 
Here's to riding to 40 and beyond..!! ^_^

Offline gmotif6

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 01:40:36 AM »
Feels great to know that I'm not the only ol skooler out their. My wife and kids seem to think im crazy and look goofy ridin a bmx. Even my mom thinks its funny. The sad thing is i dont see any young kids doing thing like this in my hood. Inner city youths seem to have more on their minds than have time for this. I see kids with these retail store bmx bikes and i say its a start but they just have them to get around. Once i get better @ the basics i will teach others how to do it. If you dont have a hobby you can get into alot of bad things. I'm a music producer also. I keep off the streets by having a hobby. I got my kids doing the same. If anyof you guys need custom rider music i got tracks

Offline pulsar

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 02:14:22 AM »
i'll be 32 in two weeks.......back into it for over a year now (wow times just rippin by) after a break and i felt a bit weird at first getting back into it. then i thought to myself....screw those who don't accept what i do. i've accepted people for what they do........they should do the same in return. all my friends really do is work and drink and get larger. they all think i'm "obsessed" (because i ride every night and talk about flat a lot) . i say whats wrong with being obsessed over something thats good for you that you like? besides i have no one to talk about flat to other than my weekend riding buddies which i don't even see every weekend.

i say don't worry about what other people think and just do your thing. i don't know about you but most people around me are not doing much for themselves other than trying to get rich.

Offline Milenko2121

• GF Inhabitant
  • "Girls come and go, but bikes are forever"
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 02:17:37 AM »
well said joey...

these people laughing at you for riding a "little kids" bike when all they do is nothing.
"Sometimes You Just Need To Do Something... Different"

Offline aaron_wright

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 03:35:13 AM »
"So i pick my son up from school and tell him i landed the tailwhip which i really had not. We go to the park and BAM landed it on the 3rd try. "...

I absoutly love that I am not the only one who uses their kids park to sneak in the odd session!

Offline RideFlat66

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 03:36:16 AM »
i'll be 32 in two weeks.......back into it for over a year now (wow times just rippin by) after a break and i felt a bit weird at first getting back into it. then i thought to myself....screw those who don't accept what i do. i've accepted people for what they do........they should do the same in return. all my friends really do is work and drink and get larger. they all think i'm "obsessed" (because i ride every night and talk about flat a lot) . i say whats wrong with being obsessed over something thats good for you that you like? besides i have no one to talk about flat to other than my weekend riding buddies which i don't even see every weekend.

i say don't worry about what other people think and just do your thing. i don't know about you but most people around me are not doing much for themselves other than trying to get rich.

Yes very well said..I feel the same way.
Its hard though sometimes to go out alone on a kids bike at almost 40, (am I the oldest one here? oh wait theres the MUTT!) and start doing what most people my age think is stupid and a waste of time.
So lets see youve got the sport itself is prob one of the hardest to learn out there.
Your almost in your 40's not the limber body of the 20 year old.
You should'nt be doing this because its not the norm and it does'nt pay off with money.
It's not something thats like who has the most toys wins so you can't show it off to your neighbor in hopes he will think your better than him.

Yepp the plastic society you gotta love it.......... :rolleyes: