Author Topic: Need Hub Advice  (Read 2190 times)

thePOWERhour

Need Hub Advice
« on: December 16, 2016, 01:30:05 AM »
Wich would you chose?

KHE Astern Freecoaster Hub
specs: [size=78%]http://flatlandfuel.com/kheasternfreecoasterhub.aspx[/size]

VS

KHE Reverse ACB Freecoaster Hub
specs: [/size][size=78%]http://flatlandfuel.com/khereverseacbfreecoasterhub.aspx[/size]

And why?

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Need Hub Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »
Neither. The Erza/Salt is much more reliable for flatland use.
Both of those hubs you have listed are problematic and out of production for a few years. If I were to use one of those designs it would be the upgraded version that Odyssey reworked, "the Clutch"
Also, keep in mind both of the hubs you listed use older parts which may be hard to find. (axle diameter for the bearings was 15mm, not 14mm) so once it goes, there may be no fixing it.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 07:36:05 PM »
Those older KHE hubs are basically the same as the newer ones and many other brands that use that KHE system. Bearings are not a problem to find.

Yes the Odyssey Clutch is "better" in terms that they worked out a few "flaws" to make it run smoother and better overall, but it's also more expensive then those KHE Reverse/Astern & clones.

I personally like the KHE Geisha & Greyhound with the aluminum axle, it saves about 100g and works great.
Grease it one in a while, put in new bearings every couple of years, haven't really had any problems with it.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 07:41:15 PM »
If your looking for the best deal on FF right now, the Shadow Raptor at 120$ is the choice.
Internals are the same as KHE, except for the needle bearing in the driver and a a thrust bearing behind the clutch.

thePOWERhour

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 07:46:16 PM »
the reason why i am asking about these two hubs, is because a local guy i know is selling both. he wants 21 dollars.... yes 21 dollars for each... i think thats a pretty good deal, even if they are not the best out there, heh. and they are brand new, never build
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:48:23 PM by thePOWERhour »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 09:40:47 PM »
Hi,
I have a Federal V2 and a KHE Reverse ACB. Both work perfect. I haven't even greased them for years and have not changed any of the bearings since about seven years. They both still run smoothly. A freecoaster could not work better from my point of view. Both have the 14 mm inner diameter bearings for the driver.
The only thing is that the gap of the Federal hub (which is very similar to the Astern with the outside adjustable gap) needs to be adjusted here and there. I think loctite could help here. So if you do not want to have the gap to be adjustable stepless, I would recommend the Reverse ACB hub.
I have not used a Odyssey Clutch freecoaster but I could imagine it is stronger. The question is if you need that. As long as you do not practise whoppers all day or ride hard street and put a lot of side load on the hub, I would say the KHE hubs are strong enough for sure.
I hope this helps.

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 05:17:37 PM »
Those older KHE hubs are basically the same as the newer ones and many other brands that use that KHE system. Bearings are not a problem to find.

I had many issues with cross fit on the v1 (reverse and ACB) versus the V2 style hubs. The V1 bearings are pretty much non existent (here in the states anyways) as is most KHE product now.
 I had issues trying to swap the clutch out once since the v1 clutch only works with a v1 driver (they are about 2 mm off in size which led to the hub having side to side play if I left it loose or locking up if I tightened it all the way down)
For only $21 dollars though it's a steal! buy it ride it, and if it lasts a year or 5 years it was worth it at that price!

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 06:52:43 PM »
ya, for that price you don't even need to think about it.