Author Topic: Survival of Winter  (Read 4335 times)

Offline Ike

• Hitchhiker
Survival of Winter
« on: November 02, 2016, 02:49:12 PM »
Wat do people who live in areas that get snow do to keep riding flat? Me i jus started flat and im about 2 months in and i had 2 weeks off cuz of cold weather, rode my bike the other day n it felt weard like i havent rode in years or if as if i was riding a different bike. I jus wanna see wat others do to try n stay in tha game?
BTW This my rig.
Let the feelin flow.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Survival of Winter
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 12:18:03 AM »
What's  up Ike, nice bike
I have done it before, made it riding thru winter in near freezing temps
Here are a few tips:
1. dress in layers-wear a thermal undershirt and bring a couple more long or shirt sleeve shirts. or a nice jacket on top. the layers help seal in body heat
2. winter riding gloves-dans sells them and they are a must (look for the thermal troy lee or fox gloves)
3. stay hydrated-you may not notice you are still losing water (moisture via air/lungs)
4. hand lotion-your knuckles will dry out, crack and bleed (avoid this by doing #2)
5. black ice-you may not see it but if you are riding to your spot, you will fall and bust your ass (or face in my case)

Hope the tips help and good luck out there brotha!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline letsgo

• Backpacker
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 05:35:08 AM »
Chicago can get pretty cold in winter and hot in summer so some guys just ride indoors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGim8_TxMqk

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 02:44:42 AM »
My God, wheres EzChris and crew when ya need them?

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 03:39:49 PM »
If you have reliable friends Ike, I suggest pulling together and renting a small spot.  We did that with Flatopia.  If that isn't an option, then try parking garages or even covered loading docks.  Layers are good for warmth as Metabmxer said and if you're driving to a covered spot, perhaps bring a kerosene heater with.  One other idea would be seeking out the local indoor skatepark and check if they have a small corner to ride in. If they don't try local indoor hockey/soccer/sports arenas.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:41:46 PM by johnu773 »

Offline sir_teets

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 11:24:25 PM »
Get some gloves that have some fabric that will breathe and get these :
https://hothands.com/
If you only ride for an hour or so put them in a ziplock bag to save them for next time.

I used to put them on the back of my hand in the glove but found it works better if you put it in your palm.

Offline guarda

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 04:32:34 AM »
Try to stay just out of sight of the security camera. Get kicked out, try a new spot. Rinse, repeat. Eventually you'll find a good spot. Then you'll get kicked out. Start over.

When I was a kid, my winter spot for a few years was a corner in the mall where there was a travel agency and a furniture store. It was dead. Back then I needed a lot more room too as it was a lot of rolling straight tricks. Try using Google earth to scope out buildings that might have unused alcoves.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:47:55 AM by guarda »
Arthur