Author Topic: Aluminium vs steel?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline jcc34

Aluminium vs steel?
« on: October 25, 2016, 06:06:42 AM »
Hello

Would I be right in thinking that alumium is a less slippy metal than steel / cromoly?  I'm thinking about freestyle pegs that I can use for both flat and park.  Obviously if pegs are knurled they'll be grippy, but I'm asking about just the smooth material.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: Aluminium vs steel?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 08:52:28 PM »
For a mixed use I would chose plastic pegs.

There are plenty of brands that have aluminum or cromoly pegs with the plastic sleeve. You can add some grip tape if you need more grip.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 02:35:51 AM »
For a mixed use I would chose plastic pegs.

There are plenty of brands that have aluminum or cromoly pegs with the plastic sleeve. You can add some grip tape if you need more grip.

Exactly. I've seen the park/flat bikes run a plastic peg. And yep grip tape is the shizz
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline jcc34

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 01:37:19 AM »
Thanks.

I have some smooth aluminium pegs hiding in my shed.  I figured they might work pretty well.  I read that aluminium is more porous than steel, so I figured more grippy(?) which is good from a flat perspective.  Was wondering if anyone could confirm my reasoning.  Difficult to find plain aluminium pegs but I have some DK ones kicking around.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 07:35:49 AM »
ya the aluminum is sticky that's why no one uses them for street riding.

Even steel pegs on an aluminum rail slows down the grind that's why everyone is using plastic now.