Author Topic: Alloy/non-tubular cranks - input wanted  (Read 3664 times)

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
Alloy/non-tubular cranks - input wanted
« on: October 14, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
ie: Ares Illblends, Bizhouse Mic, Primo Hollowbites, etc.

Which have you ridden? What did you like or dislike, and why?

Any part failures, breaking, etc.?

Offline mouser

Re: Alloy/non-tubular cranks - input wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 07:14:52 PM »
I ran the alloy Quamen cranks for about two years way back.  I really liked the fact that they were relatively easy to install compared to the typical tubular profile style crank.  You don't need a "crank arm puller" to install or remove.  And because the spindle only has 4 sides it's easier to make sure the crank arms are aligned with each other.
The downsides?  It seems like alloy cranks are always noisier/creakier then tubular cranks.  Every other month I'd have to re-grease the arms to minimize the creaking noise.
After a couple years I managed to create a crack in one of the Quamen crank arms and that's why I stopped using them.  I loved them while I had them though.
Overall- I prefer tubular cranks (specifically Profiles) because they've always been lower maintenance for me.

Offline bmxelement90

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 11:47:46 PM »
Ditto ^^^ I'd stick with profiles to be honest.

Offline letsgo

• Backpacker
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 03:42:00 AM »
I ran the Odyssey Phat Black Widow cranks for years and I still have them.  They were very good to me and I never hand any problems.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 05:26:01 PM »
I have the Bizhouse and Odyssey.
The Mic's were great looking but they do require checking the bolts once in a while. You also have to be careful not to over tighten the bolts so you don't strip the treads.
The pedals have a steel washer in between which helped from it eating into the crank.
 Never had any serious problem with them although some people here have broken them (usually due to hard riding and falling on them).

I switched to Suelo cranks and I never had to touch the cranks for years. The strength of cromoly is a positive point to take into account.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 05:41:22 PM »
If I was going to buy new alloy cranks nowadays the choice would probably be Eclat Maverick cranks.
A lot of technology and design went into them but the shortest they come in is 170mm.

(there aren't that many to chose from anyway)

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 01:29:52 AM »
I bought my first set of 170mm Profiles back in 1993, and I'm on them to this day. Tubular cro-mo cranks will be one of the best investments you'll make as a rider.

Offline jsoh

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 07:42:08 PM »
I have Ares Illblend and they're freaking awesome.  Super-light, can use 48s ti spindles, easy installation (pinch bolts/no special tools needed).  Seems like they are hard to find nowadays, at least in USA.