Author Topic: Rubber griptape for pegs  (Read 2833 times)

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
Rubber griptape for pegs
« on: September 29, 2016, 06:34:25 PM »
I know igi sells small sheets pre cut for their pegs, but I would like to find a full sheet of the stuff so I can custom cut it to my needs. I have yet to find any that is comparable to the stuff used on the igi pegs or the sequence Majic Sticks. They safety tread type stuff is similar in pattern, put is actually glossy and kind of slick. Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: Rubber griptape for pegs
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 12:22:24 PM »
Hi,
I do not know the griptape used on the igi pegs. I used Jessup for a while and was really annoyed because especially when it is hot outside the griptape lasts for maybe three sessions.
After some hints here on GF I bought 3M safety walk and this is several orders of magnitude better! I have put it on the pegs and never changed it for about a year. I also prefer it on the hands compared to Jessup.
Maybe you could try this?

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 07:14:11 PM »
did you buy a big roll of it? the 4 inch wide stuff that I'm looking at is $100+ for 60 feet of it. Did you find it for a good deal somewhere?

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 11:42:43 PM »
As far as I remember I bought this:
http://www.foliencenter24.com/3m-safety-walk-antirutschbelag-ref-610-typ-1-schwarz-universal-61cm-x-30cm.html
I can cut this into around 20 pieces for my pegs (Suelo magnesium) so it is around 1.2 € per peg. Considering that it lasts super long it is a good deal!
Of course a German shop might not be the best option... But 3M is a US company, isn't it? I guess you can find it for a good price somewhere.
Good luck!

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 12:05:56 AM »
it still has minerals in the coating, correct?

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 01:07:49 AM »
Hm, I am not sure what you mean.
It feels different from Jessup on your hands. While Jessup feels more like sandpaper, this is somehow a little softer. One could say it feels more like rubber. The good thing is that the grip for your shoes is still very good, I would even say better than Jessup. I am not sure, but nevertheless I think the "rubber griptape" is different. I never had something like this but saw it at the pegs from other riders. So maybe the 3M stuff is not exactly what you are looking for. But as long as you can not find it, I would give the 3M safety walk a try as long as you can get it for a reasonable price. So I can not say if rubber griptape is even better, but 3M safety walk is very good and by far better than Jessup griptape, especially in terms of durability but also for your hands.

Offline jbeezy

• Forkglider
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 01:56:21 PM »
3m safety walk is sold at ace hardware by the foot...