Author Topic: RANT Bad frames  (Read 4812 times)

Offline Ike

• Hitchhiker
RANT Bad frames
« on: August 18, 2016, 01:53:53 AM »
Well had a quamen frame for a minute now so tried to build it up first started with problems with tha headset, now havin problems with tha dam freecoaster. Cant use a 9t on there dam i didnt even know i guess i should jus stick with old freestyle bikes an tha 16t free wheel this sucks soooooo bad im thinkin hey finally can ride out yea right.

Well anyway on to putting together my deco frame since my dam st martin needs a 3/8" axel on the back. Thanks to who ever read an listened.  Bad bike time.

Problem piece!

First ever Failed build!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 01:57:46 AM by Ike »
Let the feelin flow.

Offline Ike

• Hitchhiker
Re: RANT Bad frames
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 02:11:08 AM »
Hate skool but i guess do ya research! Soooooooo dumb!!!!!
Let the feelin flow.

Offline letsgo

• Backpacker
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 04:42:39 AM »
Yes,  the older frames will not accommodate a rear sprocket of less that 11T.  The were designed based on what was available at the time.  That frame looks like a Clad G4 from 2002 or 2003.  At that time 9t freecoaster hubs had not yet been made.

If you are going to go with this frame it will require many parts that were in use at this time like a 1 and 1/8" press in headset, America Bottom Bracket (which looks like you have) as well as the 11t to 16t freecoaster.

The decision at this point is to move forward to 2017 or go back to 2002.

Offline Ike

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 05:00:43 AM »
Yes,  the older frames will not accommodate a rear sprocket of less that 11T.  The were designed based on what was available at the time.  That frame looks like a Clad G4 from 2002 or 2003.  At that time 9t freecoaster hubs had not yet been made.

If you are going to go with this frame it will require many parts that were in use at this time like a 1 and 1/8" press in headset, America Bottom Bracket (which looks like you have) as well as the 11t to 16t freecoaster.

The decision at this point is to move forward to 2017 or go back to 2002.

Yea, ima get a nankai freecoaster with tha 11t cog, then i need a 3/8" 9t for my st martin LOL then tha parts i got now will go on my deco. Its jus a bit tough wen no one tells ya tha year tha frame was made etc. but i guess if aint new (2016-2017) its not worth it unless u hav parts on hand or dont wanna ride right away. But i got plans for all my rides theyll b running for this good weather goes. Thanks
Let the feelin flow.

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 08:29:03 AM »
I had that frame or very similar. Lowest ratio I got with modifications was 22/9.
I noticed the chain only just rubbed on the inside of the chainstay. Manufacturers often press that section in so I just copied. Took back wheel off, placed on grass and let fly with a hammer hoping not to damage anything else or stuff the frame. It worked perfectly.  ;D

Offline Ike

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 12:52:34 PM »
I had that frame or very similar. Lowest ratio I got with modifications was 22/9.
I noticed the chain only just rubbed on the inside of the chainstay. Manufacturers often press that section in so I just copied. Took back wheel off, placed on grass and let fly with a hammer hoping not to damage anything else or stuff the frame. It worked perfectly.  ;D

Thats the exact problem i was havin, but see i didnt know cuz i jus looked at how many people were running cogs an never thot about tha tooth count LOL thats wat sucks about bein a loner. Screw it i jus gotta spend $30-$100 to git er dun!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:41:50 PM by Ike »
Let the feelin flow.

Offline byke

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 10:54:59 PM »
I wish they made more hubs in larger rear cog specs. Especially 11T