Author Topic: Creaking noise headset  (Read 4430 times)

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
Creaking noise headset
« on: July 25, 2016, 05:42:36 AM »
Ok I've got a integrated headset and when I spin the bars it makes a noise.  I've never had this problem before but it really annoys me.  I've changed the bearings out with new ones put a little bit of grease in the cups and it still happens.  I do have 2 spacers between the dust cap and the stem could the spacers make noise???? Any suggestions or ideas would be great.  Thanks for your help.  Matt
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Creaking noise headset
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:45:16 AM »
Go ahead and take everything off and fully clean with a degreasing agent (like WD40)

Make sure there is grease in the frame where the bearings press in, make sure the entire compression piece is fully greased, make sure the headset cap is greased. All 3 of these areas are sources of possible noise. Lastly, re-dial in the tightness of the headset via compression fork bolt and make sure that it's fully greased on the threads and where it contacts the stem.

Hope that helps--and by the way how old are the bearings?
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »
and after what Dax said, if it still creacks: maybe something is not flat enough among the stacking of all these parts on the steerer tube.
If the fork race is not integrated: make sure it's seated properly, and nothing is crushed . If it's integrated on your fork, check if there is nothing damaged there.
Inspect the split cone and the dust cap, if they seem in good shape, make sure they are installed properly and well seated.
Have a look on the bottom of the stem. Is it flat and perpendicular to the steerer tube enough?
Check if the steerer tube of your fork is still straight.
How is the head tube of your frame? no crush somewhere?
Also, test the spacers: inspect them and even if they seem straight, take them off and go out with your bike to have a ride. Maybe try other (and new) spacers.
Take your time for all these inspections and do it in a lighted place. And the best thing would be to measure every side of everything with caliper and depth gauge.

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 03:18:47 PM »
Alright I'll take it apart again...I have an integrated fork Odyssey I'll check the cones.  I put new bearings in on June 30th.

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 03:22:42 PM »
What type of stem are you using?

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 03:34:51 PM »
It's an s&m stem that I bought from flatlandfuel. I see he don't have them anymore. It's a top load stem
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:36:28 PM by rawchild »

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 02:35:44 AM »
Grease your stem bolts including the heads of the bolts and the top and bottom of any spacers you might use too.
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 06:43:48 AM »
Grease your stem bolts including the heads of the bolts and the top and bottom of any spacers you might use too.

Nice, good idea!

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 10:38:47 AM »
It's an s&m stem that I bought from flatlandfuel. I see he don't have them anymore. It's a top load stem

Ah ok, sounds like the Enduro stem.

I only ask because I have a couple of wedge-style stems that have distorted a little over the years. Now they don't sit 100% flush to the headset/spacers anymore.
I was going to suggest trying a traditional stem where there is little chance of the bottom being distorted.

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 03:36:10 PM »

Nice, good idea!

I just had to do that myself and it worked. Let us know if that works for you too.
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 03:48:53 PM »
thing is tho, I am soooo over greasing the stem bolt threads. Too easy to overtighten and end up snapping the bolt so that's why i've just been leaving them ungreased.

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 03:09:32 AM »
That worked.       I did grease everything and I mean everything.
THANKS GUYS!