Author Topic: Need some brake recommendations  (Read 4106 times)

Offline datisstom

• Backpacker
Need some brake recommendations
« on: February 25, 2016, 11:27:18 PM »
After a long hiatus I'll start riding again and I need some front brakes. It's been a very long time however, and I have some questions. (Really embarrassing) What are exactly all the components needed to mount a front brake? Pads, cable and pads, anything else? Also, I'll have to order from this shop, what components would you recommend?

http://www.soulcycle.com/nl/3/onderdelen/remmen.aspx?page=0&pagesize=160

Thanks!

Offline smsabb

• Hitchhiker
Re: Need some brake recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 08:11:39 PM »
they have the odyssey evolver brake kit with lever and cable that may work for you its a great brake ive been riding evolers for years starting when they first came out to the new generation we have now hope that helps ,otherwise diatech hombres are a good bet too and you can pick them up really cheap

Offline Timmer74

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:16:11 PM »
welcome back to riding! I too got back into flat after a 22 year break (about 2 years ago). I also had to re-learn everything since everything has evolved since the early 90's ;).

I'll recommend what I run:
Brake: Odyssey Evo 2 brake (it comes with pads)
Brake Lever: Odyssey Monolever (I run the medium)
Cable: Slick cable
lube: Triflow. before you install the cable take the cable out of the housing and put some triflow on it. This helps keep that cable sliding nicely inside the housing

I'd also recommend getting the Evo2 brake parts kit. I didn't run 990's in the front back in the day and it took me a little bit to understand how to set them up (I stretched the springs too far when setting spring tension). Not a crucial purchase but might save you some wait time if you mess something up. It comes with a straddle wire. That's not used for the front brake if you're unsure... Oh yeah, if you get these brakes pay attention to what spring goes on what side (It says on the brakes arms though...).

hope that helps!
cheers

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 12:26:33 AM »
Good recommendation on the Evo2 brakes. Not the cheapest but works for front or rear. You may want to change out the brake pads it comes with, depending on what the finish is on your rims and what kind of braking you prefer. Also you probably want to get a cable cutter, like the one from Park Tool that cuts clean and fast.

Offline azflatlander

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 03:49:14 AM »
Hombres hands down  :beer: They sit closer to the fork than most brakes. Evo 2's are clanky and they need an update, js  :rolleyes:

Offline guarda

• Forkglider
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 04:50:37 AM »
I got a set of Kink Desist brakes for about 30 bucks. Low profile, not heavy, no flex.
Arthur

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 02:00:03 PM »
The EVO2 is a great choice, it comes with the all the accessories to use up front.

Also mentioned but more expensive is the KINK Desist are great but you have to get the Kink cable knarps to use on the front.

If you can't afford these brakes, the Hombre is cheap but works good.

Offline datisstom

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, I ended up getting the Hombres and Odyssey Monolever.

Offline OlderThanDirt

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 11:44:37 PM »
If you're partially insane, you can polish your Monolevers to look all perty like I did  :P