Author Topic: RIP Dave Mirra  (Read 6805 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
RIP Dave Mirra
« on: February 05, 2016, 10:39:58 AM »

Dave Mirra was a great athlete and an inspiration for many of us. He was also a husband and father of 2 kids. Hearing about his death is shocking and it's impossible to find the right words. Rest in peace.

The media release of the Greenville Police department:

"At approximately 4pm today, Greenville Police responded to the 200 block of Pinewood Road for an apparent suicide.
Upon arrival, officers discovered Dave Mirra, 41, of Greenville, sitting in a truck with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. He had been visiting friends in the area a short time before the incident.
Considered an icon in the pro-BMX world, Mirra, was instrumental in bringing the sport to the City of Greenville, which now is home to more than 20 professional BMX riders. The record-holding athlete is survived by his wife and two children.
"We mourn the loss today of a great friend and wonderful human being who touched the lives of so many around the world with his gift. He called Greenville, North Carolina home and was as humble a guy talking with kids on a street corner about bikes as he was in his element on the world stage. A young life with so much to offer was taken too soon," said City of Greenville Mayor, Allen Thomas.
The Greenville Police Department will be handling the death investigation. The family of Dave Mirra would appreciate privacy during this very difficult time.

If you or a loved one are struggling with suicidal thoughts, you are encouraged to seek help through the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline by calling 1-800-273-TALK.

Chief Holtzman and Mayor Thomas will address the media tomorrow, Friday, February 5, at 9:00 AM at GPD Headquarters."

Offline efxman

• Hitchhiker
Re: RIP Dave Mirra
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 07:54:24 PM »
I guess the question that keeps coming up is why?  He was so focused at being the best, he had a wife and two children, from the outside he seemed to have so much to live for.  His last post was about his wife calling her his rock.  Makes you stop and wish someone had been with him to just tell him to think about his family.  I cannot imagine what they are even going through right now or how they can deal with it.  I met Dave years ago at a BS contest in Florida back in 92' or 93'.  He was so down to earth and just seemed to roll with everything.  I really dont know what to say but I hope his family can survive this.

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 08:25:55 PM »
Perhaps Depression. It's a very complex condition.
So sad for his family and friends. Bmx in general won't be the same without him.
R.i.p.
One Last Ride.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 09:22:55 PM »
They are still looking into, it but there is talk it may be related to depression due to CFE. If he has had multiple concussions, its very likely that may be a possibility.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 11:37:13 PM »

Offline Isop

• Forkglider
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 08:15:16 AM »
They are still looking into, it but there is talk it may be related to depression due to CFE. If he has had multiple concussions, its very likely that may be a possibility.

My first thoughts. Such a bummer, the more I have time to think about it, the suckier it gets. I remember as a little kid I'd watch him and Jay battle at xgames. Also,  when I saw his Fufanu off McCoy during vert doubles, I thought that was so rad. Gonna miss him.
"This fight brought to you by Xyience, extreme lawsuits for extreme corporate failures."

"The only thing I'm good at is riding this bike!!"

"Vitor Belforts BJJ is like the nucleus of an atom, people say it exists but, no ones actually seen it."

"For we walk by faith, not by sight."

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 11:26:18 AM »
Very sad news. R.I.P.

Offline byke

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 09:37:59 AM »
Sometimes it feels wrong to comment on a sensitive subject.

Its interesting that CFE has been mentioned, but what hasn't really been looked into is the circumstances of how this took place. Especially as friends have come forward to say he "had shown no outward signs of being depressed."

And while I don't really want to delve into a subject that is personal for many.
I think it would be a real injustice to not mention the following statements and facts that have been reported.

An hour before Dave's passing.
He posts a instagram photo of himself and his wife, with a message
  'My rock. Thank God!!'He then proceeds to Scott Ashton's house, spends some time talking to Scott and they make plans to head out. Dave then proceeds to his car before administering a self inflicted gunshot wound on the drive way of Scott Ashton's house.

Now I am not doubting that this was a self inflicted wound, and don't want to follow the same path as some others online have suggested this may be something other than a suicide.

But to exit a so called friends residence, in what has been described as a person who showed no visible signs of distress, and to then self inflict an injury on this persons property with full view and very close proximity of their house is a very personal statement to make.

Suicide victims often cower away if they are committed to their intentions.

Whereas usually people who are under duress and seeking help, usually make a personal plea in the shape of a public threat (standing near a bridge etc)

But to go and sit in a driveway, and discharge a firearm in such a way makes me question if this was designed as a personal message. As the action was clearly made in haste, as there was no suicide message. Unless the message was that of the location in where this happened.

Either way, I can't help but believe his legacy will now only be remembered by his death.
And not that of his achievements, which is a real shame.

Lets hope that if there was a sentiment that Dave wanted conveyed, that it has achieved its goal.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:41:09 AM by byke »

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 10:52:42 PM »
Very True Mark. When i posted that i had not seen any detailed information yet. It does eem strange but i have heard that CFE does make you do strange things including snapping for what seems like no reason.

I wonder if it was an accidental discharge of the gun? Again i dont know full phorensic details of course, but that thought did cross my mind as well. especially after reading what he was doing immediately beforehand.

Its a shame..the whole thing is crazy, and sad.

I do hope though that he will be remembered for his achievements and not the details of his death.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 11:25:51 PM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbFjg6ALlyk Small | Large
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:31:32 AM by out~riding »

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 02:30:53 PM »
Holy sh!t...!!!!! Im with Mark on this..... sounds shady and doesnt make any sense.. RIP Mirracle Boy.. :(

Offline bmxelement90

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 06:03:15 PM »
anyone else painting there pedals gold?

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »
I didn't know the full story. Authorities always say people don't usually suicide around family and friends. They find a quiet place alone where nobody is around.  Guess we may never know.
This is a sad way for a legend to go.