Author Topic: Far East Cycles freecoaster  (Read 8298 times)

Offline CircleK

Far East Cycles freecoaster
« on: January 14, 2016, 08:57:39 AM »
does anyone know anything about the availability of these? ive seen them on the FEC instagram and facebook pages and their website has them but for some reason when i click on the link nothing happens. I cant see them on flatland fuel yet either.

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
Re: Far East Cycles freecoaster
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 11:53:25 AM »
Hi CircleK. I wondered the same thing. If you look close, the freecoaster hub on their site & the one on their Facebook page are two different hubs. I think the one on their site is an older friction-based hub (KHE Clone) while the one on facebook is probably a prototype, perhaps a Cassette/Convertible  (Ezra/Salt Plus) with a lighter weight aluminum driver. I guess we'll know before too long...

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 06:03:13 PM »
I don't think it's available yet.

Offline CircleK

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 08:08:27 PM »
Hi CircleK. I wondered the same thing. If you look close, the freecoaster hub on their site & the one on their Facebook page are two different hubs. I think the one on their site is an older friction-based hub (KHE Clone) while the one on facebook is probably a prototype, perhaps a Cassette/Convertible  (Ezra/Salt Plus) with a lighter weight aluminum driver. I guess we'll know before too long...

i actually didnt notice that, good pick up. i really want one of these for my new build but with no info on it (ive messaged them through insta and facebook) and flatland fuel having 16% looks like i'll be running with a KHE Greyhound instead...

i also wonder too what it'd be like getting replacement parts for it from FEC to Austr

Offline 502/flat

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 12:31:21 AM »
Just hope it's female hub (14mm with 3/8s bolts)

I would be very happy rider. 

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 06:37:24 PM »
way under 400g. This coaster will be the coaster to get. There is no reason to buy the Z coaster unless you want something that is priced way beyond the low quality only because it's "Made in the USA."
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline CircleK

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 09:31:00 PM »
I ended up buying a KHE greyhound as I couldn't wait any longer. 500g with bolts. should have it laced and rolling next week

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 09:00:36 AM »
saw that recently on Facebook, Dub from Far East Cycles confirmed it is a cassette type hub that is "not like the Profile" and has 3/8 axle. Hoping this hub is solid and good quality. I'm running a converted 3/8 Odyssey Clutch and it has developed bearing noise on me already

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 11:35:54 AM »
Hm, interesting. Under 400 g? That is something new...
I personally would not ride a 3/8 " axle because too many of these cracked on my bike.

Dcochran4, I guess you do not ride the Odyssey hub for a long time. Are there other issues? I watched these tech videos about this hub and it sounded convincing, so I am a little surprised about your experience.

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 11:28:33 PM »
I have had it since late last fall. I just swapped the bearings out on it today and it works like a charm again, we'll see how long it lasts. $40 in bearings every 6 months would pay for a new coaster in a few years. It seemed to only make noise when standing on the driveside peg. Any how I am satisfied with it for now and hopefully no more problems with it for a while.

I also did the axle conversion on it to fit it in my 3/8 dropouts so there is no telling what to expect when you take apart a fresh-from-the-box hub.

Offline CircleK

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 08:38:14 AM »
anyone running one of these yet? any feedback on them?