Author Topic: King of the coasters .... ?????  (Read 8982 times)

Offline byke

• Backpacker
King of the coasters .... ?????
« on: January 01, 2016, 05:06:12 PM »
A few years back, it was Nankai @ KHE.
But today the market is flooded with coasters etc.

What is the best coaster out there right now?

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
Re: King of the coasters .... ?????
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 09:34:32 PM »
A lot of the coasters being put out today have KHE internals, though a few proprietary ones have emerged.

I have heard several of my peers say that the Profile Z-Coaster is supreme. I bought one, adjusted it and tried to make it work for me but I just couldn't get into it.

I also ran an Ezra that I was pleased with while I still had a 14mm frame, though it made some noise as they usually do upon engagement.

I then got a 3/8 frame and bought the Odyssey Clutch coaster, and converted it to 3/8. Sadly I cannot get this coaster to cooperate exactly how I want it, even with the slack adjustability. A few guys I know in Texas use this coaster, but I have not heard much feedback from them.

So far, I can say that I have yet to own a coaster I truly liked (I've been through the above hubs, as well as an NYB Japan-k, a Colony coaster, a Primo Freemix, and a Taska U-free).

Performance wise, I don't know if a king really exists, but popularity currently seems to lean towards the Profile Z-Coaster

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 12:46:36 AM »
i think the best coaster is going chainless.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline 1

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 03:28:48 AM »
If you have had 7 different hubs you must be doing something wrong!!  Good luck!

Offline ollie

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:15:22 AM »
Although the technology is ancient, and the wheel does not spin as smooth as I'd expect, the NYB Japan K (10mm) freecoaster is the best I came across. It works, it's reliable and light.

Offline flatnatics

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »
Still have my boo v2 going strong. Besides the driver bearing crapping it self every year or 2 from a tight chain it's smooth and trouble free.
A new bearing is only a few dollars
No Worries...

Offline broke_khe

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 12:25:14 PM »
v2 BUMPP

Offline byke

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 04:08:32 PM »

@dcochran4

May I ask what issues you faced with the profile?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:45:57 PM by byke »

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 06:13:47 PM »
Ive been happy with the Odyssey Clutch so far except for one small issue. The adjustable plastic washer keeps cracking at the threads which allows the little grub screw to back out over time. Luckily it has been drilled all the way through so if this happens to yours, you can simply thread it in from the opposite side.

Other than the slack getting a little bigger over time and mostly stopping at about 60-75 degrees it has been perfect--bearings, engagement, 0 ghost pedaling, no side to side play.

Oh yeah and wish it were lighter too, but Ti bolts help with that :)
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 04:03:19 AM »
@byke , I did not like the noise of the ratcheting. Kinda a similar reason that the Ezra wasn't my favorite 100% because it's occasional noise upon engagement.

@metalbmxer , I played around with my Clutch today and discovered that's the issue I was having. I will tear mine apart and swap sides on the grub screw. I noticed the threading on the other side too when I pulled it apart to install the 3/8 conversion kit from flatlandfuel. I want to get some Ti bolts for mine to lighten it up, but I will have to buy two of the 3/8 female side instead of the staggered 14mm and 3/8 bolts that come stock.

Offline Peter Hollinger

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 05:47:20 PM »
After using the Ezra for a while I don't think I would ever run a pawl based coaster again.

I love my KHE Geisha, just a shame it eats driver bearings.

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 01:41:35 AM »
I would like more opinions on the profile z...does it eat bearings?  I'm still running the good old nankai. Love the quiet operation not sure if I would like the cassette sound.
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline Bert1

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 03:07:19 PM »
Im very happy with my zcoaster, i've been running one since they came out without any problems, even with rough weather conditions over here,(water, snow, salt) the hub runs real smooth. i got tired of the khe type hubs having that side to side play.
The system is real simple and quite fool proof. enagement is smooth.
id say zcoaster is the king of coasters right now when it comes to the design, mechanics and reliability

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 04:14:54 PM »
I had been riding a Task a U-free for years and while I love how light and reliable it is, the occasional snapped axle was very expensive to replace. Recently I've switched to the Odyssey Clutch and if you've watched the videos you know they went to great lengths to make sure it addresses all of the problems freecoasters are known to have. Mine has been working like a dream and I haven't had any issues with the plastic washer. I'd love it if they made an aluminum inner axle for 3/8" bolts to lighten it a bit but on the whole I think it's the best out there that I've tried. On my get around town bike I put on an old profile shell with nankai guts thinking axles would be easier to replace for it but it turns out they are now very hard to find :/
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline wesbmxr

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 05:09:02 PM »
I'll throw in my two cents. I've ridden Nankai for 25 years and have had no problems with the internals, the slack, or the axles. I think routine maintenance is essential (I take my Nankais apart every 3 months or so and re-grease). I've never switched out to a new freecoaster because I'm perfectly satisfied with Nankai. I did save some weight on both my bikes by using the Profile aluminum hub shell. Just my opinion guys but I swear by Nankai.