Author Topic: Brake hitting forks  (Read 1464 times)

Offline lucitania

Brake hitting forks
« on: October 31, 2015, 01:43:36 AM »
I just got a beautiful pair of 990s in the mail yesterday and they are hitting my flatware forks. Attached is a pic of a similar setup but I'm not sure if they are Odyssey forks. As you can see the nut for the brake pad is really close to hitting the fork. The fit for the rear is the same nut it also hitting, please don't tell me I don't have to return them.
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: Brake hitting forks
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 11:40:26 AM »
Hi,
I think this fork is from Odyssey, but it looks like the 2004 model which had different brake mounts than the Flatware model.
In the picture I have attached you can see an AD 990 brake on a OG Vajda 2007 fork. If you have a problem in the yellow marked area, you can just grind down the nut/bolt about 1 mm or 2 mm. I did this one time and the nut was still strong enough.
If you have a problem in the red marked area which I would assume because the Flatware brake mounts are lower, I would think about another brake. It would be very difficult to make it work if the brake arm itself gets in contact with fork at this area.
Good luck!

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 12:15:02 PM »
Newer brake mounts are usually "low profile", that's why the 80's designed 990 hits...

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »
the dia compe brakes while being really good, sometimes did have clearance problems. grinding them down in strategic spots can alleviate this issue
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline lucitania

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 07:01:14 PM »
I was hoping to hear the brake mounts could be shimmed :( This is what I was afraid of hearing. I don't want to be a hack so I ordered the Hombres. I hope these will be ok?
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 10:51:21 PM »
those will work fine