Author Topic: Sprocket size affect freecoaster engagement?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
Sprocket size affect freecoaster engagement?
« on: September 19, 2015, 06:19:55 AM »
I saw an older post in 2011 that was slightly pertinent to this topic, but not quite what I was looking for.

I have a new Profile Zcoaster, Flybikes Tractor Chain, and 20t Profile Spline Drive sprocket on Ares Illblend 160mm cranks.

I used to have an Ezra freecoaster hooked to the exact same drive train.

I understand that the Zcoaster is a completely different animal when it comes to hubs. I enjoyed the ability of the Ezra to immediately disengage and allow me to go directly from forward rolling to backward rolling. I have even experienced some engagement of the Zcoaster while in a disengaged forward roll (the pawls start buzzing lightly, then fully engage and throw my cranks).

I have adjusted the slack on the Zcoaster with appropraite slackrings and positions thereof. When I place it in a 33° slack adjustment, the engagement issue dissipates, but leaves me with more than desirable slack. The 20° slack setting appears optimal for me.

I'm wondering if changing to a larger sprocket (22t, 23t, etc.) will give me just enough travel difference to allow me to utilize the 20° slack option, but without the engagement problems.

I'm also considering just buying another Ezra or an Odyssey Clutch and corresponding spokes, and doing away with the Zcoaster altogether, but i'm not quite ready to give up on it just yet (especially because of the large investment I have made in it).

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
Re: Sprocket size affect freecoaster engagement?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 08:24:36 AM »
Sorry to hear the frustration with the Z Coaster. I have an Ezra & although it will pop it hardly ever disengages. Unfortunately, I don't think moving up a couple of teeth on the gearing will lessen the slack.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »
Hi,
I am not sure if I understand your question correctly.
Do you want to adjust the slack with another sprocket? In general this is possible. I mean the slack in the hub defines the rotation of the driver until it engages. But the slack you feel in the pedals is a different amount depending your gear ratio. If you use 18/9 for example, you crank rotates half as much as your driver.
So if you would switch from 20T to 22T you would less slack (higher gear ratio -> less slack).
If you have your coaster "half engaged", you might hear some noise. Is this what you are talking about? This is typical for freecoaster with a clutch I think. I assume that you will not have it with the Ezra because it is a cassette-style hub without a clutch.

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 06:19:58 AM »
I think that was the answer I was looking for. I will probably invest in a 22t sprocket soon and do a little experimenting of my own.

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:56:35 PM »
I replaced the thin metal retaining ring in the hub and tightened it up, and no longer experience the engagement issue. May sell the hub though because it is just so unconvetional and difficult to get used to, even when properly functioning.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 11:41:46 PM »
Hm, so you are not really satisfied. What a pity. I mean this hub is expensive! But maybe it is also personal preference so it might work well for others.
I still use KHE-type hubs and like them.
Good luck with finding a suitable setup!