Author Topic: NYC Jam  (Read 6786 times)

News_Bot

NYC Jam
« on: August 25, 2015, 01:47:33 PM »
Date: 04.09.2015

NYC Jam - Red Hook - 137 Lorraine St, Brooklyn NY - Saturday Sept 5, 2015 2pm - dark

The park in Red Hook is probably the best spot to ride flatland in NYC (ok i´m going to be challenged here), it is very large and mostly level and not wavy asphalt surface. It is fairly under-utilized in that mostly people just walk across it as a shortcut and i´ve never seen another event go down in the 2 years i´ve been coming here so should be all clear. It always has been for me.
 It is beside the Red Hook houses, which should not frighten anyone, i have never had an issue here, other than crazy kids doing their thing. I love this neighborhood, i´ve met all types of people here and many have told me they think flatland is nice.

- Pre-Jam: Will be at Tompkins Square Park (at 300 E 10th St and Ave A) in Manhattan on Friday afternoon Sept 4th. Location of a few of the earlier NYC jams, lots of skaters, young ladies, and weirdos. Somewhat limited parking, but mostly still free it think. Can be slightly challenging driving in the city so you may want to take the subway here.

- Bathrooms: nearby at McDonalds (i think it´s $.50), free at Dunkin Donuts, or sometimes a public one is open down the street. Someone will probably decide to hit the bushes instead.

- Food: Red Hook food trucks 1 block away with authentic Latin treats like sopas and elotes, otherwise the Mister Softee truck rolls by every hour or so, theres a bodega around the corner, McDs, Dunkin, chicken vodka pizza up the street at Vinny’s.

- Parking: should be pretty easy which is rare for NYC. There is free on-street parking on the roads around the site. Shouldn´t be a big deal.

- Seating: if you get tired there are about 8 different park benches circling the riding arena. Some offering shade depending on the solar schedule. You could bring a chair but maybe don’t bring the big tents out to this since it’s in a public park.

- Water: there is a water fountain that for some reason is stuck in the auto position spraying into the air. I think someone modded it.

- Rain: This could be a hassle. If it happens to the extent that we cant ride we can go to the sensory deprivation tanks nearby or to the afterparty spot not too far away. There is some covered ground in the IKEA garage down the street if we get desperate.

- People in attendance: There will probably be about a dozen NYC riders, maybe some dudes from Jersey, maybe a couple ridaz from New England?, Masashi Itani, and some other mystery pros.

- Biking in NYC - Actually a lot of fun and pretty safe. Don´t get caught running red lights, at night you need a front and rear light, be cautious don´t get doored. Look for streets with bike lanes, it´s a little more comfortable.

- Afterparty - This Saturday September 5th after the Flatland Jam in Red Hook at 137 Loraine St. You are all invited to ride over to the After Party @TenderTrapBK 66 Greenpoint Ave in Brooklyn.  This is BMX rider @DarrylNau’s bar and he is buying us all free beer from 9 to 10pm to celebrate the days riding.  Party goes til 4 am with Dj @Dirtyfinger and GoGo’s dancing on the bar #TenderTrap #TenderTrapBK

*** Questions and updates - go to http://facebook.com/nycflat
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:13:22 PM by smiley (Roy) »

Offline guarda

• Forkglider
Re: NYC Jam
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 05:18:51 PM »
I'll be there.
Arthur

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »
Yo we'd love to see y'all at the NYC jam. Roy is putting together a dope after party at Darryl Nau's bar. Should be a sick weekend!

Offline MAYTRICKS

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:52:22 PM »

Just a few days away now. I sprained my ankle so I might not be able to ride but I'll be there for sure.

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »

This Saturday September 5th after the Flatland Jam in Red Hook at 137 Loraine St. You are all invited to ride over to the After Party @TenderTrapBK 66 Greenpoint Ave in Brooklyn.  This is BMX rider @DarrylNau’s bar and he is buying us all free beer from 9 to 10pm to celebrate the days riding.  Party goes til 4 am with Dj @Dirtyfinger and GoGo’s dancing on the bar #TenderTrap #TenderTrapBK
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo

Offline diggerbrown

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 03:50:15 PM »
Wish i could make it!! May be next time,have fun!!!

Later Diggs

Offline estados

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 12:08:24 AM »
Small | Large

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 03:35:16 AM »
Thanks for coming out and for posting these pics! I will try to follow up with some action shots.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 08:11:19 PM »
Here's a couple I shot.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 08:20:47 PM »
Here's some by Luis Garcia

Offline guarda

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »
Great meeting you all. Sorry I had to break out early.
Arthur

Offline flalandflow

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 01:25:06 AM »
sorry i missed this  just  put a bike back together  to start riding again both me and jeff mac  good to see people still ride

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 05:18:56 PM »
Looks like a splendid time! what are winters like with regards to riding? I will be moving somewhere in the US next year and would like to know. Indoor spots? Only outdoor spots? Is riding non-existent in the winter? Thanks
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 05:30:03 PM »
Well winters in New York can be pretty harsh. There can be snow on the ground for 2 months or so and also very windy. I only know of outdoor spots in this city though we would kill for something indoors. Most of the parking garages are small and below the buildings unlike the rest of the country where they are large and fairly easily accessible. I've considered rolling out to one of the indoor skateparks around here in the winter but I assumed it would be too full of unruly scootering/general mayhem to concentrate on anything.   

Offline Frieda12

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 08:53:14 AM »
wish I could go :P :P