Author Topic: Rim suggestion??  (Read 5061 times)

Offline pulsar

• GF Inhabitant
Rim suggestion??
« on: July 18, 2015, 01:05:03 AM »
can someone recommend a good rim? I am looking for a wider rim similar to the primo balance rims.

Thank you
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 01:14:59 AM by pulsar »

Offline pulsar

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Rim suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 07:35:26 PM »
Huh...? 185 lurkers. I havent been here in a while, did this place go off the deep end?

i am surprised rims do not post measurments. I have a rim that is failing, i can wait a bit but should probaby order something within the next day or two. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 11:25:06 PM »

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 12:19:19 AM »
the Lurkers may be because the title could appear you HAD a suggestion about rims, rather then that you needed a suggestion. Thats what i thought when i first read it, but now that im here... out~riding is correct,there are quite a few options these days. I still prefer the Ody hazard lites. Being a heavier guy these days, i had wanted a wider strong rim and have never had an issue with them, so whenever i build a set of wheels i always use the Hazard lites, they are pretty much my go to rim. I think the Gsport rims are also a wide rim similar to the haz' lites but ive never ridden them so i cant really say how well they hold up.

Offline pulsar

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 01:14:07 AM »
Alright, thank you guys. I havent been here is so long i forgot about the parts section, thank you Outriding. This should keep me busy for a bit.

I am trying to keep the same rim width so the shape of my tire doesnt change. I see some list the rim width and some do not.

I was thinking of the 7ka rims, i know they have been known to be pretty good. I do not remember how wide they are, its been a while since ive seen one.

Re: Rim suggestion??
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 02:14:54 AM »
The hazard lite rims are 32mm wide and i THINK the 7KAs  are the same width and configuration, just a higher grade of aluminum than the haz lites. The Gsport rib cage rim is  36mm.

Hope that helps

Offline pulsar

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 02:56:57 AM »
Ok, according to the description, the 7ka are wider than the hazard lites, i dont know how much wider..but if the lites are 32 then i cant see the 7ka being much more, probably 34mm

My primo balance rims look to measure 33-34mm.

Eastern diode measure 34, looks like an ok option.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 09:39:19 PM »
the rims you want are either the Gsport Birdcage or ROLLcage. Those are solid rims with a width of 34mm. All of Gsport George's rims were designed by him from the ground up and offer unparalleled performance for strength and weight. I personally ride the birdcages and do tons of whoppers and jump tricks. Birdcages are approx 1.5 oz lighter than the rollcages (comparing the anodized versions, not the chrome versions).
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 02:37:31 AM »
Good info Metal! Question to you which may help both myself and pulsar out..

Is the ribcage rim inferior in comparison to the rollcage or bird cage rims? It says the ribcage rim is made from gsport's proprietary aluminum alloy, 36mm wide and 17.9 oz where the rollcage is standard 6061 aluminum and 34mm wide at 17.4oz. Most of the other specs are pretty much identical.They both seem like good choices. Was just curious if you've had bad experiences with the ribcage rim.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:45:25 AM by VisionStreetWear »

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 05:27:14 AM »

Is the ribcage rim inferior in comparison to the rollcage or bird cage rims? It says the ribcage rim is made from gsport's proprietary aluminum alloy, 36mm wide and 17.9 oz where the rollcage is standard 6061 aluminum and 34mm wide at 17.4oz. Most of the other specs are pretty much identical.They both seem like good choices. Was just curious if you've had bad experiences with the ribcage rim.

RIBcages are overkill! They are the strongest (17.6 oz for the anodized version) but widest too (36mm width)

The weight you quoted for the ROLLcage is the chrome version. The anodized version is 15.9 oz. rode one for a couple weeks and it was SOLID but honestly I think the birdcages are the best for strength to weight ratio
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 06:54:20 PM »

RIBcages are overkill! They are the strongest (17.6 oz for the anodized version) but widest too (36mm width)

The weight you quoted for the ROLLcage is the chrome version. The anodized version is 15.9 oz. rode one for a couple weeks and it was SOLID but honestly I think the birdcages are the best for strength to weight ratio

Gotcha! I can see that...i was just curious why ya chose one over the other..i figured there was a logical reason lol thanks bud  :)