Author Topic: Looking for a new complete  (Read 7942 times)

Offline Drab

Looking for a new complete
« on: July 19, 2015, 04:06:01 AM »
Hey all, I am trying to get back into riding after a few years, and my old bike is too heavy and messed up to salvage. It's not even a flatland bike. I have been shopping around for the last 2 weeks, and have found only a few entry level completes, but the reviews are bad. The main ones being the KHE Evo and the Ares A Plus 1. I'm thinking about getting the St Martin Darwin, but it's a fair bit more expensive than I was hoping to spend.

What are the recommended completes for new riders nowadays? Shame the DK Opsis isn't made anymore, those sounded perfect.

Offline 1

Re: Looking for a new complete
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 05:20:23 AM »
Stay away from the KHE, you won't be able to actually find it, it will differ from the published specs, it will totally suck and you will instantly regret it. They are a terrible company in so many ways.... I would get the Ares...it.has some good parts but at that price range most completes are about the same...keep in mind many of them are pretty small too!! As long as you assemble it carefully and have fun,  enjoy it. You'll have to replace some parts sooner rather than later but go for it!

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 08:12:21 AM »
Hi Drab I know exactly where you've been. I got back into riding from almost 10 years away. Now I'm better in many ways in my 40's than I was in my 20's. Anyway, one thing to consider is geometry - mainly frame size. How tall are you? How much do you weigh? These questions will help determine a bike that will fit you well & hold up the best.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »
The first thing to point out is that there are very few complete flatland bikes available.

Building a complete is the best option, but it can also be expensive.

Depending on your location, it might be easier or more difficult to find one of the specific completes.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 09:45:14 PM »
the aplus1 looks good for the $$ and you can upgrade parts down the line. It's about as close to the DK as you can get.

if you want to spend a little more and get a longer frame the darwin and S-kill look good. If you like the 18.5" toptube size then the aplus2 would suit you well.

otherwise yeah stick w the aplus1
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 11:58:11 AM »
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=63066.msg468556#msg468556

If not the Colony, try the marketplace here and look for a used complete in your country.  :mellow:

Offline Drab

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 08:20:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am about 5'9", and I'm about 160 lbs. right now. The bike is part of my quest to quit smoking and get active, so I'm hoping to trim down a bit more. I have found a few used options. Nothing in the marketplace right now.

That Colony Apprentice looks like everything I would want, but curious about price and availability.

The more I look, the more I feel I'm stuck buying new. The options seem to be the:
St Martin Darwin
Ares S-Kill
or the Colony Apprentice if it comes out soon at a reasonable price.

Offline Snowman

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »
Glad you posted this Drab, and thanx to everyone for the feed back. Im am currently looking to do the same thing... been out for a few years and am wanting to get a proper flat land bike. I would be willing to build one up...

Offline Snowman

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 09:12:52 PM »
If money was no object which frame would you guys pick out of these from FF:

1. Ares APlus V3,
2. Ares Ashura,
3. Autumn Blitz2,
4. Fenix VikiGomez,
5. Heresy AscenD

Im really digging the look of the Heresy, Viki, and Ashura...

Or any other suggestions for frames is welcomed...

Im 5'11" about 215lbs...

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:14:25 PM by Snowman »

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 12:39:20 PM »
It would depend on what frame size you personally prefer. Alot of those frames are under 19'' which may be small for a rider of your height. Best thing to do is try out a few different bikes at a comp or jam and see what sizes and parts work best for you.  :mellow:

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 07:34:10 PM »
If money was no object which frame would you guys pick out of these from FF:

1. Ares APlus V3,
2. Ares Ashura,
3. Autumn Blitz2,
4. Fenix VikiGomez,
5. Heresy AscenD

Im really digging the look of the Heresy, Viki, and Ashura...

Or any other suggestions for frames is welcomed...

Im 5'11" about 215lbs...

Out of your list of 5 frames, I think the Heresy is where it's at. Modern geo, choice of 3/8 or 14mm axle slots, and solid design put it at the top of the list for me.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 04:52:12 PM »
Got a complete ares garuda for sale check out the for sale section

Offline Frock

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 05:27:45 PM »
I have a DECO Succubus V1 complete for sale. PM me for more info if you're interested. I'm asking $500 including shipping unless it's overseas, then we can make a deal.