Author Topic: Playing with Colors - 3D Model  (Read 13856 times)

Offline ArcmanFab

Playing with Colors - 3D Model
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:03:13 AM »
Made a model of my bike so I could play with colors.

It's an Adum Kun KHE A-Damn complete with a few new parts.  Wheels from my complete DK signal and Quamen Bar-Be-Q bars.  The wheels that came on the KHE fell apart right away.

I tried a ton of different color combo's before I came up with this combo.

Any suggestions I should try?  The bike is all shiny and flat black right now so I have a lot to powder and chrome.

Started going brakeless and don't think i'll be going back.  Grinded, tack welded the holes and sanded my fork brake mounts.

Here's the model of my bike before color.

Here's my bike before I removed the brakes.  It's currently this ugly color.

Here's the cool bike pic that inspired the colors.

And here's the rendering of the bike with the new colors.

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Playing with Colors - 3D Model
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:47:03 AM »
It looks good. My suggestion. Have your larger parts (forks, bars, and maybe the cranks and seat post) match the frame color. If you want to use Purple for your small parts, I would make the hubs and the nipples purple as well. To blend the white (or is it chrome?) trim color in, I would make the rims, spokes, and the pedals white/chrome. If you're going with white, see how everything looks with the grips and seat white as well.
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline ArcmanFab

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 08:58:16 PM »
Cool man, i'll make the hubs Violet and check it out.

It's chrome but was rendering sort of white fsr.

Yea, I agree that the fork looks good same as frame, but was mimicking the pic I found.  I'll try the fork yellow, I think that would look super dope.

Offline ArcmanFab

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 08:15:17 PM »
So, for now i'm just slapping some rattle on my bike since the color I want to powder requires too many chrome parts.  I tried this as it looks ok with the black parts. 

Blue and Pink baby.

These chains are so bright and cheap.  Was a cheap way for me to get into some colored parts, only like 8 or 9 bucks.

Grinder and some wire wheels then some sanding.

Two coats dat primer do.

Someone made a tut and painted their bmx frame this color.  It's called Deep Blue by Rustoleum.  Holy hell it turned out so good, go buy this paint and paint your bike! 

This is the most bubble gum like pink wally world had and I was too lazy to look else where being that I went shopping for paint like 100 times.  It's also Rustoleum and called Berry Pink.  It is berreh berreh pretty.

I also got some sweet pink flangeless grips and silver bar ends for cheap from dans comp. 

And here's where i'm at, just drying before clear coats.

If the paint holds up well at all i'll post a quick how to vid on youtube when I get my parts this weekend.

-Grinder and two different wire wheels, 150 grit sand paper and a dremmel sanding cone attached to drill press to remove all paint.  -2 coats pimer, -3 coats color, - prolly 2/3 coats clear.

I beat the hell out of my bottom brackets but they wouldn't come out so I just taped them really good and razored around them.

If you like what you see drop a message so I don't feel like i'm posting all this for nothing.

From my experience, Rustoleum paint has always been the strongest rattle ever since my childhood painting everything with high heat black paint.  I've tried Valspar, and although it covers excellent, it seems to like never dry or something.  Just calling it like I see it. 

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 11:31:05 PM »
this is some high quality job, i really like the colors scheme,
and also great skills on the 3d drawings.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline ArcmanFab

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 06:13:57 AM »
Thanks a lot!  I'll update as soon as I get it back together this weekend with the new parts.

Offline ArcmanFab

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 03:49:43 AM »
The final product...

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 03:52:56 AM »
Nice. Let us know how the paint holds up. Was thinkin the cranks would have looked good in pink, but i have a feeling that spray paint on the cranks would have gotten ugly pretty quick.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:56:31 AM by ortho »

Offline ArcmanFab

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 08:43:16 PM »
Will do, just check back in in a few weeks-months and i'll update.  So far the paint doesn't hold u good at all on aluminum parts like my seat post.  It scratches right off...

I might make a youtube vid showing how it holds up over time.  So far from what I can tell...  It wasn't worth all the effort and you should just buy parts in the color you like or get them powdered...  :(

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 11:27:13 PM »
it came out really good, maybe you can protect your work using something like this plastic, i used a piece of it over a sticker to keep it in good conditions.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 11:35:40 PM »
Yeah I'm not surprised to hear that. I think if you are open to embracing the imperfections of it all, it can be a good look. Wabi sabi and all. I want a personalized bike that isn't all black and I'm not about to put off riding for a week to have it powder coated so screw it. Even new un-spray painted parts like grips, bar ends, and pegs look like crap after one session anyway so i've just learned to embrace the nasty. I come home with black marks all over my legs and hands, so why have a pretty bike?

Offline Leone4130

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 11:47:16 PM »
it came out really good, maybe you can protect your work using something like this plastic, i used a piece of it over a sticker to keep it in good conditions.

I did the same thing, used a clear vinyl on my crank arms after I painted my cranks, been holding up for 2 years now..

What software did you use for modeling and rendering? I mostly use Creo for modeling and holeshot for rendering. Good job on all of it, looks great!

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 11:35:17 AM »
I've stripped bike parts back to raw metal, used the dearest primer undercoat x 2 coats and bought the dearest paint x 3 coats, left them to dry for 10 x longer than the can says and it was the biggest waste of time and money. It just flakes off easily.

The best is once raw, take it to a pro spray painter or automotive spray painter. The difference is night and day. Rattle cans just dont work.

For powder coating, best results are again to prepare the frame or part back to raw. Sand blasting is the fastest way to strip parts back and different materials are used as options if you think sand is too aggressive.

Offline ArcmanFab

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 05:37:26 AM »
Yea, I totally agree.  It was a total waste of time especially since I've been learning street tricks like grinding.  The paint still looks pretty good and i'm comfortable dropping the bike but it's not going to look pretty for long.  Either buy parts in the colors you want or get it done professionally. 

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »
Hi ArcmanFab. The only spray paint that I know of that holds up well is Epoxy (or appliance) paint. It's far more durable that enamel paint & comes in a variety of colors. You can also get the Epoxy Clear Coat to finish it up.