Author Topic: Time machine ride in  (Read 3299 times)

Offline datisstom

• Backpacker
Time machine ride in
« on: May 08, 2015, 11:21:46 PM »
I have a lot of trouble with the ride in and it seems like hitting a wall everytime I try it. I get to the point of switching hands (it's easier than turning the bars 180 degrees, don't know if that's better in the end though) and I barely touch the peg when I end up stepping down everytime. I can never get to the point of grabbing the peg.
Even when I put my bike in the position before bringing my knee up and trying to roll, it just feels to unnatural and I have no idea how to hold it.

Any tips on this?

Offline ImUlllNosFides

• Forkglider
Re: Time machine ride in
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 01:27:49 AM »
Can you roll the trick or just learning it all the way?
For me its all about how you hold the bars before reaching for the other peg, if you practice grabbing the bars like a karl cruiser (thumb along the bar) it should be more stable, thus having more control when you reach for the peg, also try lung spins they teach you how to hold the bike with 1 hand in a very similar manner.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
Re: Time machine ride in
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »
The ride-in is weird for me too. Part of my problem is that the position is a little scary so I have a hard time committing to it. Now i'm trying it more seriously, like a couple hundred attempts per session, and i'm finally getting comfortable on the ride-in. Most of my friends who ride a bit more ballsy than I do got the time machine a lot faster. If it's a fear thing with you too I would suggest just pushing outside your comfort level a little at a time, but do them when you're well warmed-up, confident in yourself, and determined to take it a little further.

The bike will speed up as you bring it in but you just have to get a feel for staying on top of it. I've been trying them for years with very little progress but since i've started getting serious i'm getting it slowly. It doesn't seem like the kind of trick you can just play with and then one day it will work. You have to be proactive to get results. You just gotta learn to ride that monkey.

Like was said above, lung spins are a good way to get the feel for the ride-in. It's a little more of a normal position than grabbing the peg, but it will still get you comfortable with standing over your bike. A lung spin is like halfway between the feel of peg wheelie and a time machine.