Author Topic: characteristics of a frame for back wheel riders?  (Read 1891 times)

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
characteristics of a frame for back wheel riders?
« on: February 19, 2015, 03:17:38 PM »
How does chain stay length affect the difficulty/ease of doing back wheel tricks? Is the seat tube angle more important than chain stay length for back wheel riders? Just looking for some answers about what kind of geometry to look for in a new frame.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
Re: characteristics of a frame for back wheel riders?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »
the shorter the chainstay, the easier it is to pull the bike up on back wheel tricks

but at the same time it can flip out faster when pulling a manual.

Some of today's street frames have as short chainstays as flatland frames.

Seat tube angles don't have a lot of importance, specially if you run a low seat.

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 05:52:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply. There are so many different frame geometries on the market and I am just trying to make some sense of it all.

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 04:57:16 AM »
I'm wondering the same.
I ride a G9. I find its pretty good. Not the shortest Chainstays.

I'm seen some small talk here about bike setup.
like. Having lowering bars for a bit more response when pulling the bars towards yours. Shorter distance or something?

It seems alot of the guys riding back wheel all have some different setups. so it could be more to with having the frame to suit your body, height and such

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 03:59:21 PM »
I've been having a problem with my shoulder being extremely sore and tense after a riding session of peg wheelies (I've been working on turning with minimal success so far). I wasn't sure if this was due to my body having to compensate for something off on my bike as far as geometry goes. I am running a St. Martin Diamond frame right now (talk about short chain stays, 12in to be exact), and I am running Autumn zero forks with a ton of spacers to occupy the steerer tube and raise my bar up.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:48:33 PM »
that should just be pains from practicing, Your putting to much tension on your arms from pulling up on the peg wheelie, you have to reach the balance point and relax your arms more.

Offline dcochran4

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 04:33:57 PM »
I've been trying my hardest to keep my front end really low like Matt Wilhelm as I try to learn megaspins. That's probably why I'm over using my arms then.

Offline sakis

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 03:31:47 PM »
I think less than 13.25'' is easy to pull up the back end up and do lot of spinning/turbine/pumping tricks in tight circles..
For longer than 13.25'' the bike is more stable in many tricks but you will get tired faster.
you have to find what is better for you.. I had many years 13.5''then went to 13.4'' and now its around 13.25''
if you have a 25-9 gear the 13.25''is almost standard in most frames..add or take off a half link and you are somewhere there if you thin 13.25 is short add a half link and it will go around 13.375 thats is good also...
shorter bars are faster for lot of tricks but you use more power also while taller bars are lighter to keep the back end up..the biggest secret is to keep practising at whatever you have and then you ll find what fits you better in your riding style.cheers