Author Topic: Locking levers on the front?  (Read 2881 times)

Offline jcc34

Locking levers on the front?
« on: November 14, 2014, 09:17:02 AM »
Hi

I've just bought a new St Martin bike, want to run a front brake, been looking at brake parts and the Tech77 POTTS locking lever caught my eye.  Do locking levers have many possibilities and uses on the front beyond just being a backup security thing?

I'm tempted but I'm thinking they'll just be redundant, I don't have that much skills!

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
Re: Locking levers on the front?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 09:47:19 AM »

a backup security thing?
how?
actually not at all for that purpose, that's only tricks oriented
Today almost nobody uses the lock on brake lever to do tricks, good luck finding answers to your question.
You might be right when you think they are redundant

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 09:23:28 PM »
Locking levers were used in the 80's, no one is using them today, except oldschool collectors...

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try them out if you want.

101 Freestyle Tricks 1 part (2 of 2) Small | Large

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 09:52:14 AM »
They are very 80's, mostly used for one handed or no handed hopping tricks and also undertakers amongst other things. I split my hand open between my fingers back in the day when I missed the grip and hit the locking button.  They really only have retro old school collectors value now.

Offline jcc34

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 04:08:03 PM »
Thanks for the retro video, love that stuff, sometimes I wonder whether the riders today are really more skilled now or just different.  Think I saw Pill using locking levers on the front to good effect more recently.

I grew up in the 80s but I think I'll leave them in any case.  If I find myself in position where I feel like I could really use them, then I can hunt some down.

Offline 89schwinnsting

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 01:51:41 AM »
Andrew Farris was the last rider who used locking levers, and that was back in the 90s. But if you like them, go ahead and get one to try it out.

Offline londonflat

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 10:47:32 AM »
I still use one,only because i snapped my mono lever learning spinning hitchhikers,never in my life used the locking button though LOL :beer:

Offline byke

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 06:27:42 PM »
I pulled out a chunk of meat from the side of my knee (elbow glide) when I last used locking levers (tech 77's) and since then I have always removed the locks out of habit.

I still use tech 77's today as my preferred lever (without the locks)

Offline azflatlander

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 10:04:46 PM »
The tech 77's were bad for taking chunks out of your knees as were the ACS's :huh:

Oddyssey made the Rx 5 lever that was low profile with the lock placed on the actual lever and it was adjustable so you could run your brake tension anyway you liked... in my opinion alot more of a comfortable lever  :beer:

Try the Rx 5 I say  :mellow:

Offline pitdog504

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 05:22:18 AM »
You guys are overlooking the best part.  Leave them locked overnight everyday to help stretch your cables.  It really makes a huge difference.