Author Topic: Gearing ratio  (Read 1107 times)

Offline 13th Dimension

Gearing ratio
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:48:08 AM »
Hi, I'm new to flatland and I'm wondering what would be the right gearing ratio for me. I know that 'standard' on other types of BMX riding is ~2.8, what about flatland?

I dont want to go too low, as I still need to ride to spots and stuff. Anyway, I was thinking something like 20/9? That would be 2.2222..., so it shouldn't be that bad for regular riding aswell.

Offline x james x

• Cliffhanger
Re: Gearing ratio
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 11:52:05 AM »
I ran that ratio for awhile, wasn't bad at all, problem is that with gears that small your chain tends to slap the frame alot.

Offline 13th Dimension

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:00:42 PM »
I guess that varies too, each frame is different, I think that wouldn't be too big problem, I currently ran 25/9 gearing with CS brakes and it was fine, If I choose that gearing it would be without back-brakes (or even mounts), even if it will hit the frame I can always build up my super hi-tech "tube+ ductape" chainstayguard..

But overall this gearing is OK? I mean, you can get some speed with this gearing too, would I be able to stay by side with street rider with 2.8 gearing if I really want to?

LOU4130

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 02:19:32 PM »
i think youd be ok. I rode my buds bike with 18/9 and it seemed ok. i was thinking of running that same 20/9 myself and i think it would be fine for riding to your spot. I need to do the same thing, and thats the set-up im going for. Currently im running 24/9, which is the standard BMX ratio(like 44/16)