Author Topic: [ST]Rollercoaster Primer w/ Creative Commons License  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Alex Worden

• Hitchhiker
[ST]Rollercoaster Primer w/ Creative Commons License
« on: January 06, 2015, 10:42:54 PM »
For immediate release,

I wanted to share with you and the flatland community the [st]rollercoaster that I have been working on for over a year now. We used this project as a way to experiment with digital fabrication and rapid manufacturing for prototyping gearing systems.
We wanted to share the concept with the community and allow anyone to build upon the idea or make their own through the creative commons licensing. We will be providing links on our website to the digital files for 3d printing their own steel gears.
My hope is this is can encourage open source product development for the flatland community.
http://www.studiotjoa.com/news_Strollercoaster_Primer.html
Cheers,
Alex Worden @ StudioTJOA

For updates on the [st]rollercoaster check out the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/strollercoaster00

Offline slimp

• Hitchhiker
Re: [ST]Rollercoaster Primer w/ Creative Commons License
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 06:55:50 PM »
Could someone explain this to me in layman's terms? Is this essentially moving the freecoaster mechanism to the BB so you could run a front hub in the back? Does this provide any other benefits other than simplifying the backwheel? Looks like a promising idea Alex, thanks for sharing!

Offline stuntnuts

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:01:51 PM »
Locks the cranks in a certain position, no?

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »
Hi Alex,
I personally would not use it by I would like to say that I am really impressed! This looks very well designed and I am pretty sure that it is much better than the hubs that Kevin and other used earlier. I could lead to some new tricks for those who are willing to experiment with new technical ideas.
Two thumbs up!

Offline byke

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 09:43:36 AM »
Good to see this being made available under the Creative commons license.
Although in reality I can't see it meaning much, as I can't see anyone willing to take out a worldwide patent on this.

In regards to function, I am sure it does what it says on the label.
But I like to be able to pedal backwards and set my cranks.

Not my thing, but props for sharing.

Offline Alex Worden

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 04:31:35 PM »
Thank you to all for the support and kind words.

Cheers!
Alex