Author Topic: Front wheel shifting/tilting/won't stay tight  (Read 3723 times)

Offline drtaylor23

Front wheel shifting/tilting/won't stay tight
« on: September 29, 2014, 08:02:25 PM »
So I got some brand new KHE Alchemy pegs and Eastern axle nuts to replace the beaten up and rusty SNAFU pegs and hardware that was on the bike when I bought it. 

The front hub is a KHE Geisha and the axle is 3/8" - the pegs are 14mm and the axle nuts have a lip that fits really snug inside the peg washer to step it down to 3/8".

I had some problems with the front wheel shifting with the pegs that were on there when I bought the bike, but it seems to be way worse with the Alchemy pegs. 

After riding for a few minutes I can hear the rim rubbing the brake pad and the wheel is off center from the fork.  I only get like 6 shots at something before the wheel shifts to the point where the wheel is angled enough that it's noticeably harder to keep the bike up.   

With the peg + washer there's not much axle left on the front stufs, but it seems sufficient to hold.  I'm more wondering about the absolute distance from the nut to the fork.  Since the Eastern nut is about the same diameter as the washer I tried without the washer and the same thing happened.

Anybody else experienced this?  Any ideas on how to get this thing so stay put?  I have a feeling going to take off and put back the nuts every few mins isn't helping the longevity of the parts.

Pictures:

1. Hub and stud
2. About how far I think the nut is from the fork when tightened down
3. Various parts at my disposal (the thinner silver 14mm to 3/8" is a little to wide to get in the peg)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e48/homeowner919/EqulibriumIMG_1021-2_zps5c8a54a1.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e48/homeowner919/EqulibriumIMG_1022-2_zps9767c724.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e48/homeowner919/Equlibrium/IMG_1020-2_zps493604be.jpg

Offline blue carolina

• roll on
Re: Front wheel shifting/tilting/won't stay tight
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:04:16 AM »
Personally from experience I would stick to metal pegs. The plastic resin is a cool idea. But just isn't practical as you can't tighten them up enough like metal ones as the plastic keeps slipping.
He who laughs last, laughs the hardest

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:20:33 AM »
Plastic pegs don't seem to get enough tension to stay tight, unlike alloys. You could try some griptape on the inside end to see if that helps it prevent slipping against the fork so much...

Offline MAYTRICKS

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 04:41:44 PM »

File down a millimeter or two off the axle-nut shoulders. The shoulders may be rest ever so slightly on the forks when you tighten the pegs down. Plastic pegs tend to get squished when you tighten them down. Look at the end of the shoulders for signs of the shoulder pressing up against the forks.

Offline drtaylor23

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:07:05 PM »
Abandoned my own thread.  I wound up setting it up like so:

Axle nut | KHE washer --> | Peg wall | <-- snafu washer | fork

The plastic bit of the peg is sandwiched between the two washers and the smaller-diameter-than-the-peg washer is against the flatter part of the fork.  Tightened it down as much as I can manage with an extension bar on the wrench.

I've ridden it for a couple of hours without any movement, but it started to slip on my at the end of an hour of riding mostly on the front left peg yesterday.  It's OK for now if I can just keep it like this.  If I am still riding and making some progress I'll give the metal pegs a go...or if I see any really cheap ones.