Author Topic: Two Bikes One Rider - What to keep?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline drtaylor23

Two Bikes One Rider - What to keep?
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »
So I'm getting back into riding after a reallllly long time and thought I'd give flat a go.  Thanks for the replies a while back on my first thread about getting a bike.

I wound up with two bikes somehow...  The first turned out to need a new BB and freecoaster maintenanced, but now it rides great.  The second one needs a little clean up since it's been sitting for a while, but is intact.  After going to my LBS for the first one they showed me everything I need to know to get everything apart, lubed, and back together.

I can ride about 3-4 hours a week on days when I work from home.  It's fun, but is going to be slow going.  I don't think I need a spare bike around.  I'm also in over my planned budget at the moment with repairs + two bikes.

Just curious what would be my best bet as a beginner to have what I need to ride for a while and get as much of my cash back out of it as I can to free up some money for purposeful replacement part purchases when I need them.

Which would you keep?  Which would you sell?  Would you mix and match and make a frankenbike with parts from both and then sell the leftover bike or parts?  I figure I should come up with a plan before I disassemble the one to clean it up.

Bike 1

30lbs as built
Frame: 2007 KHE Militant Justin Miller Signature (only 100 made apparently?)
Fork: KHE Flat Alloy Fork
Stem: SuperStar Revolte V2
Bars: Haro Ryan Nyquist Signature four piece bars
Headset: FSA
Gyro: Odyssey GTX
Freewheel: KHE Geisha Street freecoaster, 9T
Front hub: TX Quando
Cranks/Sprocket: St Martin Ecoflat Pro, 24T
BB: FSA ISIS Platinum (brand new)
Pedals: Primo Super Tenderizer
Brakes: Revenge Industries
Rims: 48H Alex Supra-E
Tires: Maxxis Hookworm 110 PSI
Seatpost: Don't know - black
Seatpost clamp: S&M XLT
Seat: Profile cushy leather something or other
Pegs: Demolition x4

Bike 2

23lbs as built
Frame: 2009 Jesse Puente Equilibrium (it's basically the "pro" version FF was selling)
Fork: KHE Tanaka LT, CrMo
Stem/Bars: KHE SwissMiss, Sanko CrMo
Headset: Spurs SK
Freewheel: Gold KHE Geisha Free, 11T
Front hub: Gold KHE Geisha
Cranks/Sprocket: KHE Prism, 25T
BB: Haven't gone in there
Pedals: Eastern Plastic
Brake: Tektro
Rims: ALEX Y303 RIMS, 32H
Tires: KHE MAC1.5 steel
Seatpost: KHE Prismatic
Seatpost clamp: KHE
Seat: KHE Watanabe
Pegs: SNAFU Hexagon x3 (the guy lost one?)

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Two Bikes One Rider - What to keep?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
2nd bike for sure hands down.

1st bike has some decent parts you can use tho:
1. Khe freecoaster
2. St martin cranks
3. Demolition pegs (wrap with griptape)
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 11:36:26 PM »
I would choose the Equilibrium, just swipe the driver, brake and pegs.

I would pass on those st. martin cranks....

Offline drtaylor23

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 03:12:38 AM »
That's along the lines of what I was thinking.

I actually like the Militant frame a lot and overall it feels like it's a smoother ride.  I don't notice the weight difference for my n00by falling off it a lot now.  If anything it helps a stabilize it a little. 

It wasn't a great experience having to put $$$ in it right off the bat, but it was the right thing to do for the next person.  Lesson learned.

I will probably pull the back brake off the Militant and swap it on the Equilibrium and call it day.  Those Revenge brakes are crazy good.  Pegs if I wind up having to part out, but I'd like to keep it a ready to ride set up for trying to sell it local.  I actually don't need the back right for anything I'm trying to work on now.

I think the St. Martin cranks look awesome, but you pedal a flatland bike like once in a blue moon so if they stay on the bike good enough. 

I also like the feel of the bronze street freecoaster versus the gold flat one, but again it's not probably a practical difference for me and once I take it apart and clean it up it might run a little smoother.

mewefan

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 04:05:51 AM »
Keep the second one. 7 POUNDS IS ALOT OF WEIGHT! If you don't notice it now, you will later.

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 05:38:43 AM »
Welcome back to Flatland! I too am riding after a long time away & having a blast with it. Anyway, I would definatley pick the 2nd bike & swap out the parts mentioned above.