Author Topic: What's up with FLATWARE (Odyssey)?  (Read 7818 times)

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
What's up with FLATWARE (Odyssey)?
« on: August 21, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »
It's been a long time since we heard anything from Flatware...

The last part they released was the Lincoln 38mm stem about a year ago and that was labeled as Odyssey and not Flatware...

Terry Adams just posted this pic on FB:

Quote from: Terry Adams on facebook
Thanks to @profile_racing for the new goods. Can't wait to get this stuff on my new bike.

On his sponsor page on his web site there is no Odyssey or Flatware logo....

http://www.terryadamsbmx.com/#!repairs/cuy0

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
Re: What's up with FLATWARE (Odyssey)?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 08:35:25 PM »
I think they lost a lot of money with the Flatware frames warranty.
One Last Ride.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 08:51:27 PM »
Yeah I never saw Matthias and Terry say anything publicly about it, but they appear to be completely off Odyssey and no new parts look to be on the horizon. Pat at FF told me that Odyssey would continue to make Freq-G tires and forks for flatland but that may be it.

Offline leeroy002

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:41:13 PM »
As long as I can still get frequency tires I'm happy

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 11:18:33 PM »
It's discontinued because why bother.

Offline bmxelement90

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 11:38:20 PM »
odyssey went from freestyle to just street.

Offline 1

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 02:31:27 PM »
Since the rest of BMX was declining in sales, it was probably an easy decision not to re-invest in more Flatware stuff.

Not surprising at all, I guess I would have done the same thing if I was a manufacturer.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 03:48:43 PM »
This is enough to make me jump ship from odyssey parts and support companies supporting flatland. Like profile/madera who not only make flat friendly parts but are hooking up Tyler and now Terry. They're also into the Chad's venture with Deco.

That madera stem starting to grow on anyone else?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:55:44 PM by metalbmxer »
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 03:53:57 PM »
Profile makes some great stuff but the back of that Madera stem gives me some fright.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 03:55:09 PM »
It's discontinued because why bother.

One way I can see companies making it work is to release different sized/specc'd version of their street products for the flat guys. Shorter frames, min sweep bars, shorter stems, knurled pegs. That way they could maximize profits with min r&d/tooling costs. I think profile/madera, tree, and reklamation/standard have this going for them.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Midou Ban

• Hitchhiker
  • True style never shouts -> FLATLAND
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 04:08:24 PM »
they renamed it to VAPORWARE WAHAHA
"Great power comes with a great electric bill"

Offline deeball

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 07:59:50 PM »
Since inception, Odyssey has supported BMX, as-a-whole, more than most other companies have.  They've given jobs to retired BMXers like Taj and Jim C.  They put on events like Texas Toast.  They sponsor a ton of riders and let the riders help design their own products.  Having a flatland-specific brand just didn't make financial sense for them, but it doesn't mean they don't support the sport we all love.  They still help out with flatland events whenever possible.  No need to boycott or fault them because of it though.  Flatland is too small to alienate such an important brand like Odyssey.   

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 08:30:36 PM »
Odyssey is a good brand, though it seems like they've lost some juice lately. The keychain and upcoming coaster are GREAT but otherwise it seems like all 2.4 tires and new Twisted PC pedals lately. I can't fault them for not running much flatland I suppose but it kind of left a bad mark the way it just disappeared w no comment.

Offline deeball

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »
I get that but were they supposed to make a big press release saying that they were dropping the Flatware brand?  That would be even more suicidal given the situation.  It was a lose/lose situation for Odyssey.  Either lose brand loyalty or lose money.  I support their decision to move on and stop the leak.  Maybe at some point it will make sense to make a broader spectrum of flat-specific parts again.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 09:18:01 PM »
Something like what Colony (I think it was them) did would have been cooler to me. Something like...

"Well we tried something big but unfortunately financially it was too difficult to make it work at this point. We're still out there with your favorite old tires and forks and we still support you guys putting on contests and jams. Thanks to Terry Adams, Chase Gouin, Matthias Dandois, and our other flow riders for a great run and best of luck to them in the future"