Author Topic: Who has tried self-sealing tubes?  (Read 5768 times)

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
Who has tried self-sealing tubes?
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:58:49 AM »
After about my 10th flat tire this summer I am freaking sick of it. Anyone ever tried these self-sealing tubes? I would imagine they're a little heavy, but i'm sure they're lighter than those plastic tire liners. Anyway I'd gladly take on some more weight to rid myself of this crappy issue.

http://www.rei.com/product/810011/slime-self-sealing-smart-superthick-schrader-tube-20-x-175#descriptionTab

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
Re: Who has tried self-sealing tubes?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 03:07:32 AM »
Somebody here said they weigh like 5lbs? Aw hell naw. 

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=19096.msg174019#msg174019

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »
Looks like that Nickelodeon kids show when they go .....

What about a trails or street tube?

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 05:46:33 PM »
Word? Yeah I didn't think about that. May try it thanks!

http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/446040/Dans_Street|Trails_Tube.html

Offline Doses

• Forkglider
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 06:41:08 PM »
I had the same issue with flats at the start of the summer and found it was because I was leaving the bike in the trunk. The heat was causing them to explode.Since I take my bike in the house I have not gotten any flats.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 06:50:59 PM »
There are just bits of glass everywhere in New York. Sometimes it happens at my spot and sometimes it happens on the way there. Whenever I inspect the flat tire the offending piece is so small I would never be able to see it on the road.

Offline MAYTRICKS

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 07:06:41 PM »

If your tires are pretty worn it will be that much easier for glass to get to your tubes. Other than not running your tires too worn I've avoided countless flat on New York City streets just paying closer attention to my tires and sliding my foot over my tires at the even the slightest ticking sound coming from them. Also check your tires for little bits already embedded into your tire. I've also avoided a bunch of flats by picking glass out from my tires before they reach the tube. however if you're using a thinner tire like a Primo Comet or even KHE Mac glass will puncture your tube a lot faster and easier.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 08:15:51 PM »
I'm running 2 month old Ares and I'm going to ride them until the tubes are showing! I am so careful to check the inside of the tire now and also drag the tire with my foot, but these bits are so dang small. My bike setup will stay the same through the year, but in summer I just get so many flats. My guess is all the people drinking outside getting rowdy and smashing bottles more.

Also i'm looking for a hand pump to go in my bag. Needs to go to 120psi without killing myself. Anybody have any recommendations?

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 09:33:48 PM »
You have got to learn to patch your tubes! Don't use the peel and stick patches either. The glue is a MUST have.

You will be amazed at how resourceful you feel and how much $ you save by using patches!!!

They can be had on Amazon or your local bike shop. A quick online how-to is all you need Ortho!

FYI- I run 130 psi in my tubes with patches
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 10:12:50 PM »
Yeah I've been using the peel and stick patches recently and I still keep getting slow leaks around them so I guess it's back to glue. Believe me, after buying 3 tubes in 5 days (at $7ea at bike shops) I have gone back to patching.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 10:18:19 PM »
Oh and as far as a portable pump my friend Joe recommended these Topeak Mountain Morph pumps.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/MountainMorph

I tried the Road Morph pump out today and it's a smaller chamber than the Mountain Morph so it would take you forever to get up to around 120psi. It has a foot rest so you can put it on the ground like a floor pump and not go nuts with the thing in the air. It also has a PSI gauge. Not the smallest thing but at least it should work. About $45.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
and also to answer my first question about the self-sealing tubes… run don't walk away from these things. The goo is straight up nasty/smells fishy and that's all I needed to know.

Offline MAYTRICKS

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 10:33:14 PM »
Have you tried Park Tool self adhesive patches? If it's a small hole from glass these almost always hold well for me.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »
Not yet, I was using these patches called Skabs from REI. They're very thin but only worked like 1 of 4 times. I'm probably just gonna go for the old glue ones at this point.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 03:57:38 AM by ortho »

Offline MAYTRICKS

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
That's a safe bet but if you ever get curious about a good self adhesive patch you can buy the Park Tool ones on the bay for about $3 shipped for 6 patches.