Author Topic: Vimeo Policy  (Read 9317 times)

Offline Erik Otto

• GF Inhabitant
  • The Brotherhood for life.
    • Monolithic Flatland
Vimeo Policy
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »
Guys,

Here is a link with the details on the Vimeo Policy that has changed.  This will fundamentally change the way we make our edits, and not in a good way:

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/05/upload-vimeo-copyright-match-audible-magic/

We should start a discussion on alternate sites or workarounds for this killer of an issue.

Thanks,

Erik

Offline locky

• Backpacker
Re: Vimeo Policy
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »
ahhh foook

Ive always wonder how they detect the songs hasn't been purchased legally...
Or does this mean, even if you purchased the hardcopy disc riped the songs to you cpu... that it still cannot be used. As the music studio has a hidden copyright infringement which nobody ever reads.

How the hell do they detect this.
Do you need to keep your receipts for the music your purchasing ?

I understand pushing people to be creative. But we are not all multi talented and able to ride film and do the music score...

Offline Erik Otto

• GF Inhabitant
    • Monolithic Flatland
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 11:29:17 AM »
The technology looks at the underlying waveform and uses it's fingerprint to match it against it's database of songs.  It doesn't care if it was purchased or not.

Offline letsgo

• Cliffhanger
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 04:42:38 AM »
To piggyback on Locky's comment maybe those of us who have or can make music should lend it out to riders so they can have music for their edits. 

We should have a thread of music that riders here on global-flat make and then offer it up for the rest of the community to use.  That would make edits a true collaboration.  A rider from France uses music made by a rider in Mexico.  They may have never met other than a few PMs but they created something together.

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 05:28:31 AM »
I news to record bands i was in but ditched it all. And mellowed and bought a bike again.

But good idea.
I did post a thread about 12 months ago calling out for olanyboday doing music. Not a single post in reply.
Anyway its a good idea.

Offline letsgo

• Cliffhanger
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 06:25:08 AM »
I must have missed that thread.

Anybody feel free to use this.  Not good but fits a 1 minute edit:

http://youtu.be/1OIgfpsSMp8

this is a 3 minute 16 second track.  Like the other.  Not great but its free to riders to use.

http://youtu.be/7xm3aRF5fKc
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 06:33:59 AM by letsgo »

Offline Erik Otto

• GF Inhabitant
    • Monolithic Flatland
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 06:35:05 AM »
To piggyback on Locky's comment maybe those of us who have or can make music should lend it out to riders so they can have music for their edits. 

We should have a thread of music that riders here on global-flat make and then offer it up for the rest of the community to use.  That would make edits a true collaboration.  A rider from France uses music made by a rider in Mexico.  They may have never met other than a few PMs but they created something together.

This is a great idea.  I am also looking for great sources for truly independent music.

Offline locky

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 07:35:48 AM »
Over here is aus we have. Triple j unearthed. Good source for up and comers all free downloads from inderpendant muso's. Alot of flume sounding stuff which everyones digging now.
Id check out
Hart- love is in bloom
Yoe -girl

Offline chromoly

• Forkglider
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 07:20:32 PM »
As i experienced it works to take music from youtube and re-deliver it. (repost it with your own vid).
Sometimes it dont works, but almost it does. So hows that technical possible? Somehow?..haha however, policy and business..blabla, its sad.
Here is one of my attempts to make music:
rocking Small | Large

Feel free to do whatever with it!!
Cheers!!
-p.s.:  this thread is a great idea b.t.w.!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:22:35 PM by chromoly »

Offline jm

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 10:13:23 PM »

That's a pretty cool idea! I'm also about to experiment with a workaround that I think might be some kind of solution to still use Vimeo. I have mixed feelings about all this, though. Outside of BMX, it's really really bad to use music you don't own the rights to...

Offline letsgo

• Cliffhanger
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 05:11:22 AM »
Chromoly:  That is a really nice track.

jm, Erik,

Maybe we can pin a thread to the flatland media section here where we can exchange music that we own.  And then have some license that we grant such as free for purpose of (state purpose i.e. flatland video, or registered users of Global-Flat.)

Most of my stuff sounds the same but if it helps a rider post and edit without being blocked , having their video taken down, or the sound track silenced I am more than happy to give these up.

4 minute 33 second techno track.  Feel free to use as needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkDiWxVhh8o

Offline jm

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 07:30:30 AM »
Chromoly:  That is a really nice track.

jm, Erik,

Maybe we can pin a thread to the flatland media section here where we can exchange music that we own.  And then have some license that we grant such as free for purpose of (state purpose i.e. flatland video, or registered users of Global-Flat.)

Most of my stuff sounds the same but if it helps a rider post and edit without being blocked , having their video taken down, or the sound track silenced I am more than happy to give these up.

4 minute 33 second techno track.  Feel free to use as needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkDiWxVhh8o

A pinned, dedicated thread just for music that flies under Vimeo's radar would be pretty awesome IMHO. I've just pinned this to the top, so for simplicity and continuity, let's just keep it all right here. Cool?

On a side note, if anyone has a song in mind, it wouldn't hurt to just test upload it in a blank video or even put some random footage in that's the length of the song,  to see if it's a go or not (on Vimeo), before beginning editing. I'm essentially starting there from now on. There may be a way to cheat it, based on the earlier posts and my research. It's up to you to read between the lines though. It works on YouTube...but I can't morally support that route. Still, there are at least 2 practical workarounds for those determined to use an illegal song without buying the rights to use it...

I think it would be a good resource to attach a music license form in the first post that can be downloaded and signed by any that read it and get involved. That way, all the bases are covered in case proof of rights of use are required. Time to get dialed. Let's learn the new tricks ;)

The positive side to this is less radio music, and more exposure to awesome musicians that would be totally stoked at the exposure gained from being in a flatland video. One door closes, another opens~
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:41:05 AM by jm »

Offline letsgo

• Cliffhanger
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 03:49:39 AM »
Thanks jm.

I am going to make a test track and upload to vimeo.  I wonder how we license unpublished music?  Especially if it is our own production that we gift to other riders in the forum to use.

I also agree it is bad form to just take a track from and artist and put it as a sound track to an edit.  I have really wanted to use some tracks by Tommy Guerrero.  But I respect him as a skater and artist and would never use his music without permission. Also his music is more than just some background noise for one of my edits.  I don't think I could ride to a level where I could even ask him for permission.  Tommy = Professional / Me = amateur.

Offline jm

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 07:29:33 AM »
just ask him. you might be surprised. really all you need as proof (as I understand it) is a signed/documented agreement that you can use the song in the specific video with whatever rights (monetary/instances of usage/time/commercial or not) you call out. I've done this a dozen times myself with indie musicians that just really connected with, and contacted. If they're stoked on it, offer them and pay them some money for the use if possible and be the hero. It's worth the effort.

Offline letsgo

• Cliffhanger
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 06:22:17 PM »
If the edit comes to fruition I will post is here.  In the mean time I will work on a track to post here for open use.  Could we use the term "Open Source music" or "Open Use Music" to allow it to be unencumbered by license issues?