Author Topic: Pinned rims vs. welded rims  (Read 6677 times)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Pinned rims vs. welded rims
« on: March 24, 2014, 11:20:23 PM »
Hi guys and girls,
I would like to get some info about pinned rims. In the past I always bought welded ones because they should be stronger, but some rims I am interested are only available in pinned anymore (for example Sun Rhyno Lite XL 48H, at least what I found...). I ride flatland only and wonder if anyone has experienced problems with pinned joints.
Thanks.

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Pinned rims vs. welded rims
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »
Ryno lite 'xl' is their designation for the welded and spoke hole reinforced version of the rims.
double wall pinned rims are fine for high-pressure use and hold up pretty well as long as the spokes are kept in even tension. That said, care must be taken not to use tire levers at where the rims is pinned, brakeless usage is recommended.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 06:56:55 PM »
Structurally I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make, but I can tell you from experience that it's worth spending the extra cash on the best wheels you can get.  Take care of them and they'll last for years and years. 

Side note….once pro rider and pushups enthusiast Stephan Cerra told me that in the middle of a link his front wheel literally tore apart, with the rim seam tearing apart, destroying the rim, tearing out spokes, ripping the tire in half, and blowing up the tube.  Crazy. 

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:09:10 PM »
K.Wong, as far as I know the spoke hole reinforcement is the same for Rhyno Lite XL welded and pinned rims, so the joint should be the only difference. Why brakeless use? Have you had problems with pinned rims yourself?

D, I would really like to buy another pair of Rhyno Lite XL 48s, but I cannot find them anymore. I found a cheap offer for the pinned version, that's why I am asking. Most modern rims are 36 only and I would like to update some excisting wheels with 48 H.
A rim torn apart within a combo does not sound good...

I have checked some web shops and it seems like not much more than 40 % of all modern rims are welded. Of course it is a matter of the price, but it seems like there are pinned ones that hold up. Otherwise there would not be such a big market for them I guess.

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »
I think you can still get Hoffman rims in 48.  Check out the Sidewall store.  They'll probably be inexpensive too! 

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 12:23:27 PM »
Uneven rim wall wear, and lateral pressure (side-to-side) from brakes will cause the pinned seam to open (like pac-man) or mis-alight slightly. Was more noticeable on single-walled rims, not so much on double wall.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 11:19:02 PM »
Thanks for the info K.Wong.
I wonder what mountain bike rims are made like for example. Are they welded? I mean at least some years ago when disc brakes were not so common, all people used brakes on those.
Maybe I just switch to 36 or wait until 48s come back  ;D

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 10:27:26 AM »
You are right- some cheaper mtbs came with pinned rims with canti or vee brakes. I believed most heavy users experienced what i mentioned above, thus most Mtb rims later had wear indicator marks- either a dot at both side, of a certain depth or a groove in the middle of the sidewall of a certain depth.
very rarely do i see wear indicators on bmx pinned rims, on rare occasions do see them on bromton type bmx folders...

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 10:08:36 PM »
Yes, these indicators, I remember... Maybe around 18 Eur for a pinned Sun Rhyno Lite XL is cheap enought to try it. We will see.
Thanks for all you input.

Offline letsgo

• Backpacker
    • Ketch Bikes
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 01:30:19 AM »
It is just me but I can't stand the visably noticable seam on pinned rims.  They just look cheap and low quality i.e. Alienation.

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
I agree, it does not look nice.
But my initial question was if someone has really cracked a pinned rim at the joint. So far no one has told of an experience of his own (only the intersting story of Stephan Cerra...).

So I guess pinned rims could last for a while, what do you think?

Offline K.Wong

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 05:57:11 PM »
For flat, double-walled pinned rims are fine, for burly street riding or vert- only the smoothest riders.
in fact pinned rims are 'truer'- due to the grinding away of the weld beads there is often a depression at the sidewalls where the ends meet; and due to the heat (i think) distortion from welding there usually is high-low spot/unevenness where the ends are welded, giving rise to a hop when truing.