Author Topic: Whiplash landed!  (Read 4217 times)

Offline BeardMan

Whiplash landed!
« on: March 22, 2014, 05:37:48 AM »
Today I got into trying full whiplashes, and after a half hour of tries, I pulled one clean. I was so stoked, because I kind of figured out my own way through them, as I figured out a few things the other threads didn't have in them for tips.

These tips may not help anyone else, but these steps and things to watch for made the difference for me.

I had halflashes pretty good, but I spent a few sessions getting them exceptionally dialed. I do them left foot forward, kick with my right. I then started doing them so I could pause the halflash in front of me without grabbing the seat, just dipping the bars to the right a bit to stop the back end swinging any further, and setting it down and doing a smoothie back the way it came (to my right.) I then learned how to do the halflash, pause it without setting it down, then actually reverse it back and step on the top tube and ride out. I think this is called a Rebate but I'm not sure.

After being pretty comfortable at this, I started full lashes. And these things I had learned helped SO much. As the frame reached the 180 point, right in front of me, I moved my hips wayyyyy forward towards the bars. As I did this, I stepped my free right foot onto the right peg. I found having my hips forward, forced me to lean forward. It's easy as pie to jump the bars and ditch if things got too far forward, so just be ready. It's a bit scary but easy. Be SURE you have all of your weight on that right peg, and keep your roll going straight. If I jinked it to the right or left, I was goin over for sure. But in a straight line (for learning at least) it was easy to keep the weight centered, and forward. At this point when the frame was at the 270 degree mark, if I was standing over the wheel nice and sturdy, I could just step out onto the top tube and ride out. That's the part I'm still tryin to dial, practice practice!

Sorry this is so long, but these tips helped me big time. Get out and kill it!

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Whiplash landed!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 02:05:32 PM »
Atta boy, keep it up!
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline wesbmxr

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 09:05:06 PM »
Excellent work beardman! your work ethic is contagious, I'm going to practice whiplashes tonight; that trick has always tortured me. My record is five (downhill, with brakes). Get after it bro!!

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 03:22:57 AM »
Dang, I pulled my first one 27 years ago!  Man, I'm old.

Offline DBZ

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 03:13:17 AM »
YEEEAAHH DOGG!!!

F Y T W

Offline DBZ

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 03:15:58 AM »
Nothing much beats that, "I've figured this out!" feeling with new tricks.
F Y T W

Offline china flatland

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 10:31:06 AM »
Continue refueling :beer: :beer: