Author Topic: *Mankind Code 2.0*  (Read 7275 times)

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
*Mankind Code 2.0*
« on: December 02, 2014, 06:12:17 AM »
Hi all. I just upgraded to a new Mankind Frame. It took a while to get everything just right, but I'm very happy with the end result. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did building it up!

Frame- Mankind Code 2.0 19.5 TT  w/ Diabolic Ti Brake Mounts
Fork- Odyssey Flatware Zero Offset (shaved off 5 mm) w/ Diabolic Ti Brake mounts
Stem- Sequence 'The Hook' Stem (26 mm)
Handlebars- St. Martin A.J. 2014 (cut down to 26")
Grips- Deco Logo Grips
Bar Ends- Deco Plastic
Headset- Custom Carbon Fiber w/ hybrid ceramic 45 degree bearings
Gyro Plate- Hoffman D-Plate
Gyro- Snafu Mobeus
Gyro cables- SST (Custom shortened w/ 34R knarp in lever) in back are Clark mtn bike brake Cables shortened to fit a dual cable setup w/ Stolen Knuckles dual cable brake hangar.
Front Brake Cable- Clark mtn bike brake Cable (run on the inside of the fork leg for a clean look w/ no snag) Also,a 34R Knarp for the cable end.
Brakes- Odyssey Springfield (w/ custom Ti Pivot bolts)
Brake Pads- Fly Manual Pads w/ Ti bolts in back & 'Old School' gray Eagle pads in the front for feathering brakes.
Brake Levers- Kink Restraint Levers (nice levers. low profile, light & out of the way)
Frame Brake mounts- Diabolic Ti Brake Mounts
Seat- Deco Deche Slim (nicely padded & light) w/ Bluesix Ti Pivotal bolt
Seat Post- Prophecy BMX Carbon Fiber 250 mm
Seat Clamp- Integrated w/ Ti bolt
Cranks- Gusset Woodstock F.S. 165 mm (the lightest chromoly cranks available) made w/ Reynolds 853 tubing in the U.K.
Spindle- FSA Ti Spindle 19 mm (145 mm length)
Crank Bolts- Profile Ti bolt set
Chain- KMC 710
Sprocket- Profile Spline Drive 20T
Bottom Bracket- 34R Bushing
Pedals- Aest w/ sealed bearings w/ magnesium body & Ti spindles (lightest pedals I know of, only 5.5 ounces/ pair)
Rims- Sun Envy (welded w/ metal eyelets[size=78%])[/size]
Spokes- Odyssey straight gauge
Nipples- Primo aluminum
Front Hub- Profile Elite
Front Axle Bolts- Diabolic Ti female bolts
Rear Hub- Ezra Freecoaster (I added a set of ceramic hybrid bearings in this as well) Rear axle -Proper Hollow Chromoly (shaved off 1 1/2 ounces off the stock axle) I also added a Salt Trapez driver as it is a little lighter & lower profile than the stock driver.
Rear Axle Bolts- Diabolic Ti 17 mm
Pegs- Deco Wu (Very light & nicely rounded on ends for pivots)
Tires- Rubena Dom X 1.60 (theses are crazy light & great spinning tires - only 9.87 ounces per tire)
Tubes- Ares w/ alloy valve stems
Rim Strips- Rox Super Dut-E

Total Weight - 18.9 lbs.

Thanks for Looking! Special Shout-Outs to:Vegas Bike Worx & A-1 Bike Shop along with all the dudes I bought & sold stuff to on this site!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:30:53 AM by quixnet99 »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
Re: *Mankind Code 2.0*
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »
Wow! I am impressed! You seem to like lightweight bikes... How could you find all those Ti bolts?  ;D
If you don't mind I would comment on some details:
Why don't you use a Profile Mini Mag crank? I am pretty sure it is lighter.
Why didn't you use double butted spokes? With 2.0-1.8-2.0 it is not so much, but 2.0-1.5-2.0 or the KHE DT Swiss should save 30 g or more per wheel easily. I mean this is not really reasonable, but for a bike like this it would "make sense", don't you think?  :P
Have fun riding this very unique bike!

Offline xsjadorider

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 12:42:09 AM »
sick bike!! codes are sick! ;)

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:28:01 AM »
Wow! I am impressed! You seem to like lightweight bikes... How could you find all those Ti bolts?  ;D
If you don't mind I would comment on some details:
Why don't you use a Profile Mini Mag crank? I am pretty sure it is lighter.
Why didn't you use double butted spokes? With 2.0-1.8-2.0 it is not so much, but 2.0-1.5-2.0 or the KHE DT Swiss should save 30 g or more per wheel easily. I mean this is not really reasonable, but for a bike like this it would "make sense", don't you think?  :P
Have fun riding this very unique bike!

Hi Daddy Cool. Thanks for the nice comments. First of all, I found a lot of the Ti bolts at a reasonable price @ torontocycles.com They have a lot of road & mtn. bike stuff & the bolts can be custom anodized w/ the order. I thought of using double butted spokes but since the wheels are 36 spokes & I weigh 195 lbs. I didn't want to press my luck. So far my wheels have remained straight w/ zero broken spokes. As far as the cranks go; the amazing thing is these Gusset Woodstock cranks are just as strong as normal Profile cranks but a full 4.3 ounces lighter than the Magnutanium cranks & approx. $150.00 cheaper. They are in my opinion the best weight to strength ratio cranks on the market. Downhill mtn, bike guys swear by them. My bike may be light but I was sure to keep everything strong enough for daily riding. Thanks for looking!

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 10:34:57 PM »
Hi Quixnet99,
thanks for your answer and for your recommendation for getting Ti parts. Maybe too expensive for people in Europe, but good to know.
About the spokes: I am pretty sure that double butted spokes are even more reliable. I have had lots of broken spokes (most on radial front wheel but also on cross laced back wheel, all 2 mm straigt gauge and 48H wheels) and since I switched to 2.0-1.8-2.0 I haven't broken one spoke. I use the ones frome Flatlandfuel, maybe my old ones were just of bad material, but there is another argument: Spokes crack at the hub or where the thread ends in 99 % of all cases. When they are thinner in the middle, they can stretch/flex a little and this takes stress off the critical areas at the ends. At least this is the theory and my experience tells that it could be true.
About the crank: I am pretty sure that the Gusset crank is awesome, I was interested but wanted to have a version with crank bolt in gloss black and could only get the spline drive version in black chrome that you seem to have. I tried the Mini Mag instead and cracked it after about 1,5 years, so I use a Profile Race again. But other guys here on GF have used it for 8 years, so it seems to depend on how smooth you ride. It is not for everyone. But: Two arms in 165 mm weigh 371 g together. I really doubt that the Gusset crank arms are lighter, but I believe that as you said the weight to strength ratio is great!
I really like the attention you paid on details and I think it is a great ride!
I you like to check my bikes:
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=61962.0
Different style, but good for me.

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 03:26:43 AM »
Hi DaddyCool. Thanks for the great feedback. I made a mistake in calculating the crank weights. I missed the detail that the Profile Magnutanium cranks include the Ti spindle & bolts. My Gusset cranks including spindle & bolts are only about 22 grams heavier than the Profile cranks but much stronger. I highly recommend them. Maybe next time I lace up a pair of wheel I'll try the double butted spokes.

Offline flatlanderic

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 11:35:46 PM »
that bike is f*ckin dope!   

what psi you got in those dom tires?

Offline FlatSociety

• Company
  • Hitchhiker
    • FlatSociety
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 09:34:30 AM »
Thanks Flatland Eric. I'm running 110 PSI in the tires. So far, they've been great tires on all surfaces.