Author Topic: KHE Greyhound Flat freecoaster: axle questions  (Read 1951 times)

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
KHE Greyhound Flat freecoaster: axle questions
« on: November 03, 2016, 02:36:31 PM »
Hi,
I am thinking about buying a KHE Greyhound Flat freecoaster after good experiences with the Reverse ACB hub.
Can anyone tell me something about the axle? I could imagine that one should be careful not to damage the threads of the aluminium axle. So can you tighten it as much as a 14 mm axle? Have you had any problems with this? Or maybe broken bolts?
Do you know if the inner diameter of the non driveside bearing and the driver bearings are the same as for the Reverse hub? In this case the axle should be exchangeable.
Thanks for any input.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
Re: KHE Greyhound Flat freecoaster: axle questions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 03:32:15 PM »

I know two guys (at Master level) who ruined that freecoaster in few months, the alloy axle (and its female feature) was too weak for them. They are the kind of rider who don't care much about the parts, they are not the best mechanists out there and high maintenance is not their thing, that could explain that a little, but I would say you should avoid that hub.

Pat Schoolen of Flatlandfuel might be willing to (correctly!) answer to your questions regarding the dimensions and the bearings options

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 03:37:01 PM »

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 09:53:17 PM »
Thank you Revig for reminding me about this other thread. I am not sure if SurfonFlatland is exaggerating here a little bit. I mean there are many riders using this hub, aren't there? But I am indeed a little sceptical about the aluminium axle. Maybe the steet female version is a better option because the steel inner axle should not cause problems with the threads.
Ok, Pat might be a good source for information about the bearings. Thanks!

Offline DaddyCool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 08:25:46 PM »
Come on guys, I know many riders use this hub! Any more info on the axle?
Thanks.

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:50:04 PM »
The Geisha/Geisha Light is or was the most used freecoaster in flatland and I never heard anyone complaining about the aluminum axle.

The Greyhound is a little bit different but the same idea. Just don't over tighten the bolts and you shouldn't have any problem with the axle.

If your a heavy guy or ride hard maybe you should look into a cromoly axle.